Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 05:53 PM

Default NS Report - August 3, 2012

Made it to CMP North today around 12 noon. Here's the long and short of it:

1. M1 Service Grades - all gone.

2. M1 Field Grades - plenty (Winchester / SA / HRA); appears to have been restocked from last Wednesday.

3. M1 Rack Grades - one rack of Winchesters. Some of the barrels had high MEs. (Also some M1Cs and M1Ds as well in RG.)

4. M1Cs / M1Ds / M1 NM - several to choose from; some of the M1D SGs were especially nice.

5. M1 Barreled Receivers - nice selection - several to choose from. New stock appears to have been added since last Wednesday.

6. Krags - just a couple of junk barreled receivers.

7. M1917 Enfields - Only saw the two or three chromed ceremonial rifles; all of the rack grades were gone.

8. CMP Rifle Cases - North Store just received a new shipment of the hard plastic green rifle cases. (I bought an SA SG on Wednesday but was not given the usual hard case - I was told CMP would ship a hard case to me when they became available.) Today, I took my purchase receipt (from Wednesday) to NS and explained the situation; they went ahead and issued me the hard case.

9. M1 Carbine Bayonets - NS still has several foreign-made M4 carbine bayonets (at $15 / each). Note that these are not USGI, but still a good buy. Ask at the rifle counter - I did not see any for sale signs posted, but they are definitely there.

General observation: most customers appeared to be buying SA Special Grades ($995 - with new Criterion barrels).
Old 08-03-2012, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the report. September can't get here fast enough.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:18 PM

I was there this morning from 10:30 to 11:30 and can't add much more but I will say that if you are mainly going to buy the $90 loose HXP, you may want to call before you go. They had just gotten in a truck when I was leaving and had no loose hxp till the truck arrived. I believe they said they had gotten in 60 cans so I don't know if they still have some. I handled every SA and HRA FG while I was there. It was awful tough to leave without one but plenty of good shooters with MW 2 to 4 and TE 2+ to 5 to choose from. Many with GI wood full of character just waiting for a new home. My overtime is pretty restricted right now so two cans of HXP and a few new slings was all that went home today.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:34 PM

I bought one can of HXP at about 3:45pm and there were only two cans left at that time.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:36 PM

I bought the last 2
Old 08-03-2012, 07:45 PM

I was their early this morning. Lots of SA FG's with early numbers and many with early if not matching barrels. The wood on them was not bad but will need a little work. Each had something on them that made it hard to pick the right one. I left with two after looking at plenty. 2.0 mil. and 2.8 mil. One with a WRA bolt and trigger guard. MW 1+ TE 3 SA 9 cut op rod. One with SA 2 bolt SA 12 trigger milled MW 2 TE 4 and SA 9 uncut op rod. Nice even park on both. Cases were in at the end of the day and I was able to pick them up before leaving Perry around 4:00. No ammo left. The guys at the counter were saying they may have some tomorrow but not for sure.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:17 PM

I was at the North Store this morning at opening.

I saw a lot of regulars over the past few years that show on the first Friday in August which in my opinion is the best day to shop at the North Store. There were about 25 people in line at opening.

There were no Service Grades. I spent the first five minutes looking for them to no avail. The Service Grade racks were filled with extra SA and HRA Field Grades. Like last year, there were jewels to be found in the SA Field Grades. There were a number of WWII serial numbers, several with original barrels.

I picked up a 4.2M with many correct parts including the barrel that was a Toole Arsenal rebuild 11-64. If I had not bought it, there were at least two people waiting behind me to buy it. I also got a 3.0M with original barrel with many of the correct parts. It is in a Ratain arsenal rebuild stock. Both stocks will clean-up very nicely.

I passed on a 2.8M with WWII barrel and WWII stock due to a lack of funds but it went to a good home.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:32 PM

That 4.2 is supper nice!! I ended with two nice SA's that i am very happy with. See you next year.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:00 PM

Did they have any of the Service Grade Specials?

A healthy stock of the 'Special' grades with new barrels?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:14 PM

Yes, 30.06 and .308.