Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
I have no comments on Bula (plenty will post after me) but I have always wondered why, when purchasing a shorter (than standard) barrel builders consider a match or NM barrel?

Few would shorten the barrel and seek additional accuracy.
I have rifles with match barrels and I have carbine versions of rifles, they are for different purposes (for me). Seems to me a shorter version of a rifle, while not expected to be "less accurate", does not have a need for accuracy above the standard. Let's assume the average accuracy of an M14 opens up (50% for argument) with a shorter barrel. (I don't know that accuracy would suffer; I know of a few rifles where any length in a specific range, say 18-24" makes no difference). Will that make it less suited for the task designed? If it went to say 4-5 MOA would you notice (other than shooting targets)? I assume a "paratrooper" model is not to be a DMR?
And would the NM barrel make back up that drop (if it exists)?
I used to shoot IDPA/IPSC matches and some of the yahoos bragged about their match barrels (in Glocks, etc.). Few outshot me, and I'm no expert, and my match pistols are stock + 3dot sights.
Is it the Indian or the arrow?

Maybe someone has some facts to change my mind?

JMHO
JH
The contour of the barrel has much to do with it's rigidity. NM contour has significantly more metal and therefore less flex would be expected. Shorter barrels lend themselves better to different applications. This one utilizes a 16.5" which I use suppressed. With proper assembly and ammo, accuracy is very close to the 22" variety.

RVN 67-68
Old 02-22-2021, 09:11 AM

Nice looking setup. Thank you for letting us have a look.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:48 AM

Nf1e, thanks as always for the pictures, and for the actual details of what makes an NM barrel a good choice for that application.
The alternative being adding the suppressor to the standard length (and thus standard accuracy) barrel, resulting with an accurate, quiet 6' long service rifle :-)

Like I said, NM barrels have a place, I just get amused at the guys building a 12" AR and putting a match barrel on it (considering the longest range they will see is a refrigerator at 30 yards).

I can't tell, is the stock/handguard shortened for that setup? It looks great

JH

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 02-22-2021, 11:58 AM

Rifle is standard M14 except for the Bula Defense Systems suppressor ready barrel and gas cylinder assembly with short gas plug. I am using an IDF scope mount with 3-9 variable on this build. OSS HX-QD Magnum TI suppressor is shown in photo. Whatta Hobby!

RVN 67-68
Old 02-22-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Rifle is standard M14 except for the Bula Defense Systems suppressor ready barrel and gas cylinder assembly with short gas plug. I am using an IDF scope mount with 3-9 variable on this build. OSS HX-QD Magnum TI suppressor is shown in photo. Whatta Hobby!
Thanks! Didn't know you could get that short without cutting wood.

Do you have a list of "M14 builds in my lifetime" and are methodically checking them off, or is it hormones and adult beverages to decide the next one :-)

FWIW I have a list; it just changes when I see something shiny.

JH

Old 02-23-2021, 05:22 AM

Yes , I have a handwritten list of builds done over the many years. Photo is of some of the variations I have maintained for my collection.

Whatta Hobby!

RVN 67-68
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM

There's still a spot on the couch :-)

Old Today, 07:51 PM

They are here. Quite lovely.