Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2021, 10:06 PM

Default In Store Procedures and Help

Arriving early Saturday morning for my first visit. What should I expect based on current procedures? Any experienced forum members going to be there this weekend?

Last edited by HWDavis; 02-23-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:47 AM

Thatís a good question as I plan my first visit to CMP South Saturday morning also....
Old 02-23-2021, 09:58 AM

I went for the first time about 6 weeks ago. I was lucky - got there at 8:30 local, and there was no line.

I walked right in, because there was no one at the window, and no line. The guy up front had taken a nature break, and he saw me milling around.

We went back outside, filled out the paperwork (took 5 minutes - I bought an M1 in Dec online), got on gloves, put on my mask, and in I went.

I knew what I wanted, and it took me about 5 minutes to find it and take it to the counter. While they were running NICS and filling out paperwork, I milled around and looked at M1's and such.

It took maybe 15 minutes (again - it was empty that day) to get it all done. I met the lady in the waiting area, we went over the rifle, and locked up the case and gave me the paperwork, and away I went.

My whole visit was less than 1/2 hour.

Again, I got lucky. It was the first week of the year, and it was about 34 degrees and raining out.

I will be honest - the display area was a little smaller than I expected. I am not sure exactly what I expected, but there were alot of rifles in a smallish area.

Given that the building was so large (indoor range for .22's and such), I guess from the outside I expected a Sam's Club full of rifles. In reality, there were a few hundred, which you could spend some time on. When I was there, there were maybe 12 1917's, about 12 03a3's, and 150 or so M1's.

While waiting, I did get to look at a few M1's that I couldn't afford.

edit to add: I would like to go back over and spend a little time, and select an M1 that meets a few different things that I'd like to have that are different than the mail order one that I got. The mail order one is fabulous, but it would be fun to look them and pick my own.

TBH - while I was waiting and looking at them, I was a little bit glad that I wasn't doing that, because I thought I'd be overwhelmed. I went for a bolt rifle, so the pressure was off on the M1 racks. I think if I go to pick out a Garand in person, I'll try to have some ideas ahead of time, like receiver number range, maybe barrel, stock, or whatever is important at the moment, so that I can focus a little on the first pass, then step back and see what speaks to me.

I am pretty sure that you can ask them for help, and they'll help you find what you want. They had some others behind them, waiting to go out later. One guy bought one of those. He walked up, asked if they had any of whatever it was he was looking for, and one of them walked away for a minute, and came back with his rifle. I don't know if that's common, or if it was just because he and I were the only 2 in there.

Last edited by tomknight; 02-23-2021 at 10:06 AM.