Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
They are fillister head screws.

JH
Fillister has an arched top, whereas cheese has a flat top.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:24 AM

Parkerizing kit came - Ive heard good things about the ease of use of this Allegheny Arsenal kit compared to the brownells. We'll see how it works out.

I also received my 42" "Speed Rails" that i will use for tanks once i seal the ends. $20 for a suitable stainless steel vessel seemed fair even though i will need to seal up the ends...no big deal. I plan on using 3 tanks. 1 for heating degreaser, one for clean water rinse, and the third for park mix.

Lastly i received some new #28 cobalt drill bits so i dont have to mess with the partially dull bits i have. I also received a couple new 8-40 taps.... Should be enough to drill a single hole and expand the current rear bridge hole.

Barrels should arrive tomorrow. My stock screw kit should be in my mailbox today, and my action wrench and barrel vice are still stranded in Oregon after 3 days...good job USPS!
Old 02-25-2021, 11:30 AM

I'd like to see your park tank when you get it completed
Old 02-25-2021, 12:27 PM

I expect that you will find the #28 drill hole too tight and will either break the tap or chicken out when you start to see the tap twisting. I’ve used #27 drill bits since doing my first with a #28. Are you going to be using a milling machine or drill press?
Old 02-25-2021, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I fortunately do have a couple #27 drill bits too if I need to expand the holes. I will be using a drill press with a mill table vice. The last thing I want is to snap the tap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
I expect that you will find the #28 drill hole too tight and will either break the tap or chicken out when you start to see the tap twisting. Iíve used #27 drill bits since doing my first with a #28. Are you going to be using a milling machine or drill press?
Old 02-26-2021, 06:17 PM

Bolt set came in from Sarco. All repro but looks serviceable.

Sealed the park tanks with silicone. Its good up to 400F.

This is the plan for heat:

Inside of park tanks on arrival, just folded and tack welded sheet metal

Sealed:

Last edited by Jpolham1; 02-26-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:31 PM

A little progress. The barrel is off and the holes are drilled. The barrel came off easier than removing a lug nut. The receiver is too dang hard to tap. Was just getting too nervous with how much the tap was flexing. I devised a plan to spot anneal the holes with a carbon rod from a AAA battery and a 12V automotive battery. Will update on the tapping once new better taps arrive.

Carbon rod, jumper cables, and a battery should soften the receiver in only the immediate area near the holes.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:43 PM

A good deal of progress tonight. I tapped the holes for the scope mount and mounted / torqued the barrel. Glad I ordered several taps... This receiver chews them up pretty good!

Yes I have flat head screws to use for real. I have a bad tendency to booger up flat heads, so ill use these torx for fitting.

Barrel torqued. A couple back and forth rotations got it clocked perfectly.

No need for this anymore...

With any luck ill be parkerizing this weekend. Still need the stock and bolt once its completed. I need the bolt to finish ream, but I'm not going to start the reamer rental until I have the bolt in my hands. Getting more and more excited about this project being completed!

Tags
1903, 1903a4, build, sniper, springfield