Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 05:40 AM

Default How many rounds before a re-barrel?

Just curious. I'm shooting my Garand alot lately (about 200-400 rounds a week), and I'm wondering when, if ever, you consider re-barreling. My barrel is a 3/55 with a 3 TE and 1.5 MW.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2011, 05:54 AM

I thought i had read around 13,000 rounds ? But i also think rapid fire would play a large roll. Plus they say the desigh of the rifling in some barrels makes them last longer.I read on here recently someone had a garand with 15,000 rounds threw it and the barrel was still good.So i dont really know what to think

Last edited by relics; 08-05-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGunner View Post
Just curious. I'm shooting my Garand alot lately (about 200-400 rounds a week), and I'm wondering when, if ever, you consider re-barreling. My barrel is a 3/55 with a 3 TE and 1.5 MW.

Thanks
Let's see now ... How old are you now ? I doubt you need to worry with the TE & MW numbers you just gave. You might see a slight change if you are into extended rapid fire during all of your 200-400 rounds a week !

BTW, were you the guy who backed up an 18 wheeler to the ammo loading dock at SS a while back when they lifted the ammo limit??
Lets see, 20,800 a year, 2600 en blocs a year .. umm, on second thought you might better order up a barrel or two AND get a young fellow to load for ya or that thumb of yours will swell up like a toad.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 08-05-2011, 08:17 AM

many consider 7 to 8K rounds to be the practical life of a barrel. if the accuracy falls off no matter the round count, than you change the barrel. it will go bang forever with any barrel, but you may not hit what you aim at. if you really are shooting 2 to 400 hundred rounds a week, (X's 52 weeks) than yes you will need a barrel, soon. you may want to check the TE & MW numbers on your wallet, thats a lot of rounds, your wallet may wear out before the barrel.

78jeep
Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 AM

if you have the money to purchase that much ammo
you should buy another m1or 2 and a few barrel's
Old 08-05-2011, 12:29 PM

I read in one of my manuals that Army Ordnance put a lifespan of about 10,000 rounds on a M1 barrel, or, when the TE hit ten. This was for rifles 'In Garrison' or for training in CONUS. To accompany overseas, the Breech-bore(TE) could be no more than six.
Ref. TM9-1275, Figure 23 and Section 3, para 11a, a. Gages,1a.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGunner View Post

Thanks

With that much money to spend for ammo (you must have bottomless pockets), I suggest you pick up your yearly allowance of GARANDs to insure that you have rifles enough to keep up with the ammo that you're burnin' thru...LOL!!!!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:41 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to tsmysak1

Some time ago I spoke with the engineers at Weatherby. He told me that calibers approaching overbore still come back to the factory for rebarrel. My definition of overbore is when the powder charge exceeds the bullet weight. Not an issue with the '06.

The issue is that heat drops the material strenght of the steel. If you look at the mean fatigue strength or young's modulus, the value drops way off with temperature. Ah ha !

Fowling drives temp up. Increase charge weight drives temp up. An increased bullet bearing surface drives heat up... Rapid fire drives temp up...This is how you wear a barrel - Get it hot!... Once the temperature of the steel elevates (very hot to touch), your steel strength is diminished and the wearing takes place quicker.

What can you do? Control your firing strings. Avoid prolonged abusive firing. Keep barrel fowling to a minimum. Use a cleaner like wipeout and get it back to no-copper (lowest pressure). Then fire and clean, fire and clean, which will smooth the bore roughness and fowling will be reduced even futher for future use.

Last edited by tsmysak1; 08-05-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:42 PM

Shooting rapid fire does wear out a barrel faster than slow fire. Hatcher's book and Brophy's book are worth consulting.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:47 AM

You probably won't shoot enough rounds in your lifetime to wear it out in normal competition or recreational shooting. Shoot it in 10 intense firefights a week and you might wear it out in a couple of years.

The info you hear about the numbers changing about 1 every 1000 rounds is completely inaccurate. Not even remotely close. Considering I have about 3000 rounds through the barrel on my previous match Garand and the numbers have changed so little it's hard to determine if they have changed at all.

Larry

Last edited by lapriester; 08-06-2011 at 12:52 AM.