Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2018, 08:31 PM
Rozzi Rozzi is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California
Posts: 191
Default California Sales Question

As much as I loathe to publicly ask a question about the 1911 order forms, I figured I better ask this one instead of running the risk of sending in an incomplete order. I previously sent this question to the CMP 1911 e-mail address and unfortunately their reply left me more confused.

So there is full disclosure, my question sent via e-mail to the CMP 1911 customer service was: “Will a copy of a California Firearm Safety Certificate be required by the CMP to satisfy only the ‘State or locality Requirements Laws’ portion to process a M1911 order? I currently do not have one (FSC) and wanted to confirm that I need it before I send in my paperwork or if I could obtain it once the pistol arrives at my FFL from the CMP. Thanks for your time.”

The response I got from the CMP: “In California you need a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to purchase a firearm.”

That was it.

A COE is not needed to purchase a firearm in California and is different than a FSC. (COE requires a Live Scan and a $71 fee, whereas the FSC is a $25 fee and a test)

The checklist on the order form specifically states the CMP is requiring a FOID for the state of IL and NJ. There is no mention of a requirement for CA residents, however, Item #4 on the ordering instructions indicates that we must include documentation if our state “first” requires it to “process or receive a pistol”.

My plan was to obtain my FSC through my FFL once the pistol arrived if the CMP did not require one (like the specific requirement for IL and NJ) to process the order.

So my question is: What document(s) is the CMP requiring California residents to provide to comply with the “State or locality Requirements Law” portion of the order form? Is it a COE, a FSC or neither?

If it is a COE (as the response stated) I would wager that a very high percentage of CA orders will be tossed, as many do not have this document, nor would think one was needed.

As I stated in my previous e-mail, I am only concerned with satisfying the “State or locality Requirements Law” portion of the order form. I already have separate documentation to satisfy the US citizenship, CMP membership and marksmanship requirements. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:40 AM
suikoden2003 suikoden2003 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 37

Isn't there also a requirement from California that handguns can only be allowed if in approved colors even if the model is approved?
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:51 AM
cmp1911admin cmp1911admin is offline
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 54
Arrow Coe

Sir, we were told by the authorities in California, that a person must have a Certificate of Eligibility in order to purchase a firearm. At this time we must go with what they tell us. I am in the process of trying to again confirm what we were told. The biggest problem we are having is trying to find someone in California to ask/answer questions. When we know more we will let everyone know.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:26 AM
Rozzi Rozzi is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California
Posts: 191

1911 Admin......Thanks for the reply. I appreciate you taking the time to look into this for us. It doesn't matter to me which form, if any, the CMP needs. I just wanted to make sure my packet makes the cut for acceptance. Thanks again for your help.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:21 AM
4gun-drill 4gun-drill is online now
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 1,015


This is a great question, thanks for asking. I am looking forward to a definitive answer. I appreciate the fact that the CMP is willing to work with CA so we can have the opportunity to purchase a 1911.

Here is the what CA says about a COE and when it is required.

A COE is a pre-requisite licensing/permit requirement for all prospective licensed firearms dealers, licensed ammunition vendors, manufacturers, certified instructors, gun show promoters, explosive permit holders, and other firearm related employment activities, including, effective January 1, 2018, any agent or employee of a vendor who handles, sells, or delivers firearms and ammunition. The initial COE application process includes a firearms eligibility criminal background check and issuance of a certificate, which is valid for one year.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:05 PM
microwaveguy microwaveguy is online now
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South SF Bay Area
Posts: 841

I have been holding off adding my $0.02 to this thread but it looks like the CA-DOJ has stuck again. If you where to call them 5 times you will get 5 different answers and NONE of them will be the correct answer. YOU DO NOT NEED A CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY TO RECEIVE ONE OF THESE 1911's.

The FSC ( Firearms Safety Card) is a different story and can be provide by the receiving FFL after taking a multiple choice test ( it really is a nothing test) but if my memory is correct there are also some exemptions to having a FSC and that will again be verified by the receiving FFL.

My understanding is in the end the CMP will be able to use the same process and requirements to ship the 1911's as they ship the rifles to a CA FFL.
Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)

Last edited by microwaveguy; 06-16-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.