Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles > Mann Accuracy Device
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Many thanks. I did read that thread.The background you have put together is greatly appreciated here. I tend to think it as being outstanding baseline guide for anyone wanting to work with the MAD. Aside from target competitions, I am convinced that the MAD has practical applications for further testing and evaluations . the Morrison build and your build as well have great merits. Looking forward to working with one very soon. CMP is an outstanding group. The MAD is a interesting piece of the puzzle to say the least.

v/r

Ed
Old 03-02-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODCMP View Post
Here is a picture that I saved that shows the collar on the barrel with the barrel removed. This was a 7.62 device.

The collar will slide off freely once the barrel is removed. There is a smaller shoulder on the barrel, then a step to allow for the collar. If you look closely at the shoulder in the picture you can see the line between the barrel shoulder and the collar.

Dave

Good picture but I need a little more detail.
I have line on a couple of MANN barrels but the collars are gone. Question; with the collar removed how tall is the remaining shoulder? I'm trying to determine the barrel can be succesfully tightened to an action without the collar or will I have to make some sort of bushing to take its place?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesvb View Post
Good picture but I need a little more detail.
I have line on a couple of MANN barrels but the collars are gone. Question; with the collar removed how tall is the remaining shoulder? I'm trying to determine the barrel can be succesfully tightened to an action without the collar or will I have to make some sort of bushing to take its place?

Thanks
Hi wesvb - If you have a barrel that is threaded to fit your receiver, and you have an appropriate bolt in the receiver, and you have an unfired factory NATO 7.62x51 cartridge, I believe it's rather easy to determine the dimension you are seeking. Screw the barrel into the receiver to within about .2 inches of bottoming out the shoulder on the receiver, and then open the bolt, insert the cartridge and close the bolt. Be sure the safety is on. If the bolt closes easily just screw the barrel in until the chamber encounters the shoulder of the cartridge, then measure the gap and make a washer to fill it. If the bolt won't close, back the barrel out until it does close and then screw it in again until the chamber bottoms out on the shoulder at one end of the cartridge and the face of the bolt on the other. Then measure the gap. I hope this does not sound too simplistic but I believe it's easy to measure this way.