Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2015, 11:59 AM

Default Vistied the Talladega Park yesterday!!!

First visit to the park. You go through about a 5 minute safety/rules presentation. Actually good info about the park and didn’t last long. Once you go through that you are in the system and don’t have to repeat it.

I was offered the use of a golf cart to haul my gear to the firing line. Made life WAY easier. You pay and take your receipt to the Range Master (was Sara yesterday) and they tell you what firing point to be on, get you set up with a monitor, and raise the target for the distance you want to shoot at.

I was under the impression that the shooter would raise/lower targets at the FP. Reality is, you tell the Range Master what distance you want, that target comes up. You choose THAT distance on your monitor and you’re GTG. When you want to change distances you go tell them and they change it for you. No big deal. Was only 3 firing points being used and when I was done I was the only one on the whole range.

I shot my Service Rifle and 03. 03 at 200yds only and the SR at 200/300/600yds. I test a few loads for the SR. 77’s at 200/300 and 80mk’s at 600. Winds were switching all over the place but would die down occasionally. I shot between 12:00pm and 4:00pm. Sunshine angle was not an issue.

They want you to have your rifle cased when you carry it from the parking lot to the firing line, even if you have the OBI.

The concrete pad in front of your firing point is slanted to drain water away from the shooter. It is not enough drop that your brass hits it and rolls to the dirt. I don’t see that being a big deal either way but someone was asking about it.

The scoring system will totally spoil you once you use it. Here are a few pics. If you have any direct questions feel free to ask.

As always the CMP folks were great to work with. It was a GREAT experience.

thanks,
Keith

I used the CMP limo to haul my gear to the firing line.

My 300yd target being raised up

Wasn't real crowded 8-)

Shooting the SR at 600yds

Last 10 shots with my 03a3. the pic below this one is the same target but using the ZOOM feature on the monitor. Notice that all of your shots are recorded on the upper right and even give a value of how close the shot is to the inner most part of that particular scoring ring. The arrow points to the direction of the shot in the ring. In the zoomed in pic you can see a small square (in the x-ring) that indicates the exact center of your fired group. That changes every round fired unless you are stacking them right on top of each other. The lower right shows the distance you are shooting at.

I had my zero's for each distance. I had it sighted in at 600 with 80mk's. Just for S&G's I launched some 77 Noslers down there without changing my sight settings.

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade

Last edited by Kilo-Sierra; 05-15-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:49 PM

Cool. I plan on a trip there early this summer. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:04 PM

Wink Range Experience

Appreciate the report greatly....thanks.

AND...........I can only hope MY results will be that good. (I have GOT to get my butt down there for sure....even though I have access to Quantico for 200-1000 yards - those electronic targets sure will help.

PS....get any 300 or 600 target pics
Old 05-16-2015, 08:21 PM

Are there shot sensors at the shooter? The electronic targets on the Poole 300 Meter Range at Ft Benning have this so if there is a crossfire, the sensors know when you shoot and if a bullet reaches the target.

If you shoot and not hit your target , it knows and scores a miss and if a bullet hits a target when the shooter did not fire, it ignores the shot knowing that its shooter did not fire. It is beyond cool.

Any big match we all know there will be crossfires. Hopefully the system has the sensors to make it a truly smart system. Imagine a rapid fire string where the guy 2 targets down fires 2 or more shots into your target and since your cadence is different, the system scores him misses and only 10 shots on your target.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:23 PM

You guys are so lucky to have this. If you live close, and don't take advantage of this range...
Old 05-20-2015, 11:12 AM

Thanks, nice write up. makes things a bit more clear.

Question, WHERE THE HELL WAS LEON ?
Old 05-20-2015, 02:20 PM
GSM Master Instructor

Hello K-S

Great shooting! and wonderful write up and pictures.

I would like hearing expanded comments on your wind experience there:

"Winds were switching all over the place but would die down occasionally"

I may be heading there and any wind info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JHT

Distinguished Rifleman 2383
CMP RSO II

Last edited by jarheadteacher; 05-20-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:00 PM

Good job, I went Sunday 5/17 all went well.

But, when trying to sight in at 600 I managed to shoot a 10 at 6 o'clock for every round. Ended adjusting 3 min up and couldn't raise POI. Tried my buddy's target to my right and found out that I had a bad target. The mic's on the top of the target were not working. Wasted alot of time and ammo before I figured it out. They apologized and would have moved me to another target but it was too late in the day. So I got to beta test the 600.

Still had fun.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:58 PM

Default Talladega park

K31,thats interesting,what target # did you have.It makes me wonder how a range alibi or score challenge will be handled.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:35 AM

3StrikesNC - Leon was MIA that day. Talked to Don, PeeWee, Donnie, and a few others though.

Blued Steel - I've been told that it will detect cross fires so I think it is capable of what you are saying.

jarheadteacher - I was shooting at FP 13. The flags were going in different directions on the same yard line. Also, Flags at 200/300/600...the flags on the left side of the range were all hanging straight down. The flags on the RIGHT side of the range were at about a 45 degree angle. Saw about every combo you can think of. A couple of times all flags were hanging with no wind.

Shane - kinda bites with your target issues. I shot on FP 13 and had error messages popping up. Sara moved me over one FP to 12 and was GTG. Sure hope this doesn't happen during the June 6/7 matches.

Me and a bud went back again yesterday and had an equally good time. Only shot the m1 and SR prepping for the Inaugural matches.

thanks for the replies and kind words....

Keith Schachle

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade