Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2018, 07:48 PM

Default Cmp Talledaga scoring, book length question.

Iíll be the first to say I donít know much of anything. But I do have a question thatís been nagging me the longer I think about it. Has anyone witnessed the scoring system at talledaga make a mistake? The gca meeting was the first time I have ever shot a competition so I feel out of place for even asking such a question. Reason is, I had a miss called and I know I can, and will screw something up from time to time but I have yet to convience myself of that miss. All told, I was tickled with how it all turned out. I would not have thought I would have done as well as I did. I was glad my equipment worked and I really appreciate the help I received from shooters. I still however feel the sting of a miss. Wish I knew with some certainty if I just blew up and walked the guy with the bases loaded, or if it just didnít get recorded by some phenomena . Would love to hear your thoughts from more experience shooters, thanks.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:13 PM

You’re going to get love/hate answers......... some love the system and some hate it.

I, overall, like the system. IMHO..... there were issues at first and some shooters didn’t want it and found reasons to not like it.

By now though, both the staff and regular shooters know the system and it is better than paper (IMHO).....
But “losing shots” was one of the failures in the system.

What shot did you “lose?” Was it mid-string? Or last one?
If last one, you probably ran out of time.......
Also I assume this was at 200yds? And not at say 600?

Last edited by Gewehr43; 10-17-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:45 AM

Last shot standing 200yds, I’m fairly certain I got it in in time, the fellow scoring for me didn’t mention time expiring and if memory serves me correct I remember time being called while we were discussing it, who knows? I like the system, it’s fast and keeps me from needing a spotting scope for what I’m going to do with it in the near future.

Last edited by crackedwindshield; 10-18-2018 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Don't forget that a miss is a shot outside of the 5 ring. Could still be on the paper if you shot on paper targets. Don't know off the top of my head if the KTS system shows misses that are on the target but outside of the rings.

I shot Talladega only at the Inaugural Event (it's a 4 day trip for me each way) and they had teething problems then but I liked the targets overall.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 10-19-2018, 04:42 PM

Shot there back in August. Really like the target system. I did have a “lost” shot also. Didn’t bother to ask anyone about it. It was my first time there and I didn’t really care about it, it wasn’t a match. But like you I’m pretty sure it was a good shot. I was just having fun and checking the place out.
I thought they used a paper backer for the matches ?? Maybe not at TMP ?
Old 10-19-2018, 10:09 PM

First time using it today - No issues whatsoever. At 600 yds I see the need now for an illuminated reticle... (my issue, not theirs!) Otherwise I really enjoyed it!
Old 10-20-2018, 02:18 PM

The biggest problem with the KTS targets aren't the target systems themselves, but CMP's multi-year "blame the customer" approach they took to problems (you just missed/your bullet exploded....).

People would've been more understanding about the teething issues if that (poor customer service) hadn't happened. I know people who live 30 minutes away who won't shoot there anymore. The first three state championships shot there were fiascos. Blaming the customer for your problems is not wise.