Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2010, 10:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ItsGarand

Send it back. Had a carbine back twice. Right as rain now.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:24 AM

I would ask to speak with an armorer. I have dealt with Phil New before and he is really good (256-835-8455 ext. 1160). See if it's possible to just send in the bolt and op-rod for replacement. I received a HRA SG that had a cracked windage knob. Rather than shipping the whole rifle back they just sent me a new knob. You don't know for certain that the problem isn't the just the bolt or just the OP rod. Why not try and replace both of them (or whatever else the problem could be). While I was doing it I would TRY request (if possible) to get replacement parts that are WIN (worth a shot). It will save you from having to go through an FFL again . The CMP will make it right. They have EXCELLENT customer service.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:06 AM

+1 on talking to Phil New. My Winchester SG also didn't pass the tilt test, so I emailed Phil. He said that the CMP armorers don't use the tilt test because a properly gauged op rod may not pass it. He asked me to shoot the thing and see if it was okay. Accuracy was fine (not great), so I forgot about it. I'm not sure how the armorers check op rods, though. I looked through Billy Pyle's ordnance book and couldn't find anything obvious.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:44 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jordanls19

Does it have the new CMP stock. My SG WRA from the last batch had sort of the same problem, the bolt had a hard time closing if released real slow.

MY problem was the stock. The damn thing kept rubbing took me a while to figure out where, finally just replaced it with a GI stock and it's fine now.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:34 PM

it is a rifle that was produced in massive quantities in ww2.
i wouldnt or do i expect perfection.
see if they will exchange it.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:49 PM

I've also encountered problems on a Garand and a Carbine (both service grade). In each case, CMP armorers discussed it with me and made it right.

One case I received repair parts. The other, I got a replacement rifle.

This sounds like it didn't get to repair before it was returned. Probably a mistake. It's likely that NJ shipping procedures add to some confusion in handling things.

Everyone that I've met at CMP wants to satisfy his/her customer - and it's a personal thing with those I've dealt with. I doubt anyone intended to cause you this problem.

As others have sent, contact them and ask them to make it right.

Marc
Old 11-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Send it back with a brief synopsis about what happened and highlight the fact that it apparently got sent right back to you after you shipped it in for repair.

Demand either a refund or a new rifle.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision40 View Post
Really? Demand?
I would think that asking would be a nicer way of accomplishing either result, and wouldn't alienate the folks at CMP, or offend the folks who read this forum.

Somehow the old "Golden Rule" seems to apply here.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision40 View Post

Page 1A of the order form which you sign as a condition of purchase does say sold "as is".
Old 11-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAG-30-40 View Post
Page 1A of the order form which you sign as a condition of purchase does say sold "as is".
So you'd bite it if you got an $800 POS? I'm calling B.S. on that. We can quote what the order form say's all day long, but the fact is that CMP will fix it, plain and simple.