Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2010, 10:28 PM

Default Bad mouthing the CMP!

I had the day off today and decided to make my rounds of the local gunshops in search of treasures. I stopped in at a shop that I have been to many times before and seen some familier faces standing around shooting the Sh!@ like usual. I got to talking to some and they asked me what I was looking for this week (smart a!@) I told them carbines and Garands. I said I had bought a couple Garands from the CMP but missed the carbines. They all laughed and said that if the CMP was selling it then I didn't miss much. My blood pressure started to rise. They went on to say that I must like to work on old rifles if I'm buying from the CMP because thats all you can do with "thier junk". About that time the shop owner joined in on the "conversation" and added that every rifle he has seen come out of the CMP needed a new barrel and was unreliable and dangerous. At that point I realized where the "sheeple" in the shop got thier opinions and I started looking for empty glasses of Kool-aid. I attempted to explain the different grades of rifles sold and that when you bought from the CMP you knew exactly what you were buying or at least you should. I told them about the great rifles I have from the CMP and tried to touch a bit on history.....waste of time the sheeple were bellying back up to the counter for another round of Kool-aid. I continued my journey shaking my head in disbelief. I was mad at first but then realized "more for me"! Idiots
Old 12-30-2010, 10:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

gotta understand if the shop owner doesnt convince them of his cmp views and they find out the truth he loses customers and doesnt get to sell them his cmp purchases for a big markup, it's the free market system at it's best
Old 12-31-2010, 01:11 AM

One of the local shops I visit just called me spoiled, (jokingly!) after I told him how cheap I got my Garands and Carbines.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberman View Post
I had the day off today and decided to make my rounds of the local gunshops in search of treasures. I stopped in at a shop that I have been to many times before and seen some familier faces standing around shooting the Sh!@ like usual. I got to talking to some and they asked me what I was looking for this week (smart a!@) I told them carbines and Garands. I said I had bought a couple Garands from the CMP but missed the carbines. They all laughed and said that if the CMP was selling it then I didn't miss much. My blood pressure started to rise. They went on to say that I must like to work on old rifles if I'm buying from the CMP because thats all you can do with "thier junk". About that time the shop owner joined in on the "conversation" and added that every rifle he has seen come out of the CMP needed a new barrel and was unreliable and dangerous. At that point I realized where the "sheeple" in the shop got thier opinions and I started looking for empty glasses of Kool-aid. I attempted to explain the different grades of rifles sold and that when you bought from the CMP you knew exactly what you were buying or at least you should. I told them about the great rifles I have from the CMP and tried to touch a bit on history.....waste of time the sheeple were bellying back up to the counter for another round of Kool-aid. I continued my journey shaking my head in disbelief. I was mad at first but then realized "more for me"! Idiots
Thanks for sharing. The shop owner obviously had a motive, and I think you hit the nail on the head. It is sad that some people choose to not educate themselves. How hard is it to visit the website?

"Sheeple" indeed.

Like you said, more for you!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:47 AM

Like deputy85 said, the shop owner is probably buying his supply of Surplus off the cmp and selling it for a big markup. But he doesn't want his followers to know about his CMP Supply, that way he'll lie and say he bought them from a private estate sale and they were the nicest rifles he ever came across and he wants to pass them on to his customers at a great price.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:37 AM

I didn't see any CMP guns at that shop but I certainly have at other shops. Just as you said they are marking them up like they were the only ones made. I had one guy tell me about how nice his "specimen" was and that you don't find stocks like the one he had. I looked at the stock and it had CMP stamped on it....lol Sometimes it's better to play dumb and let them go. Entertaining.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ItsGarand

I see lots of CMP rifles at local shops, with the hang tags still on them. And I know of a couple of people (family and extended) that purchase their allotment of rifles per year and pass them on to a rifle shop "restorer" for re-sale.

....just sayin...
Old 12-31-2010, 09:39 AM

I see a guy at the local gun shows here that shoots on the camp perry team from here and he is selling SG Special Grands at every gun show and asks 1500.00 for them so he bought them just to sell them i guess, when i asked him about it he does not answer me just smiles
Old 12-31-2010, 09:50 AM

I go to a gun store up here and I see garands with the hang tags on them up here in RI. Then I play dumb and say I think im gonna order from the cmp they have better prices the owner of the gun shop says the garands from cmp are beat up and are nothing like the ones I have here. Haha I feel like saying what im holding here is a cmp garand it still has the service grade tag on it! There are alot of jerks out there
Old 12-31-2010, 10:14 AM

Yes, I have run into the same story here in central Pennsylvania many times.
Particularly at gun shows where the vendors were more than likely hawking CMP goods for a serious mark up. i.e. carbines with muzzle wear of 3 and some exterior wear for $799.00, just happened to coincide with the rack grade sales at CMP.