Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 06:55 AM

I was in a local gun store last week doing a quick recon mission when I saw an interesting transaction. A guy was selling a Garand to the shop (he needed some end of year cash I think) so I inched over and heard a bit of the conversation. The store owner gave the customer $500 for an SA SG (it still had a hang tag) that looked to be in pretty nice condition. So I waited around a little bit to see if the rifle was going to be put out. Thirty minutes later another counter guy brought the Garand out and put it with the rest of the rifle inventory. I went to check it out and the price was $1300!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samandglove1 View Post
I was in a local gun store last week doing a quick recon mission when I saw an interesting transaction. A guy was selling a Garand to the shop (he needed some end of year cash I think) so I inched over and heard a bit of the conversation. The store owner gave the customer $500 for an SA SG (it still had a hang tag) that looked to be in pretty nice condition. So I waited around a little bit to see if the rifle was going to be put out. Thirty minutes later another counter guy brought the Garand out and put it with the rest of the rifle inventory. I went to check it out and the price was $1300!!!

No surprise at all. One of the reasons some stores talk trash about CMP is this right here. Makes me happy CMP is here so I can buy two for $1300.00!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:18 PM

I am not surprised by the shop owner's responses. Remember, the CMP cuts into their businesses and they really don't want anyone knowing about the CMP. I mean, figure it this way, the shop owner's buy from the CMP, then proceed to mark-up the piece about 2.5 times what they paid for it. Some of these dealers are unscrupulous anyway, and don't mind selling the the same rifle for $1500; which you could've bought from the CMP for just a fraction of that! By not buying from them, and buying from the CMP, will literally take the money away from the shop owners.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:58 PM

The best gun shop around here is owned by very good people. I've heard the owner tell his customers that a few years ago the CMP was selling basically junk. He also tells the customers that the CMP is selling the best
M-1s he has ever seen now. He actually has the website taped to his front showcase and a list of requirements to participate in and with the CMP.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 PM

Default an odd conversation at a gun show

During the time frame when the NS still had 1903's, I went to our local gun show. A vendor had a mediocre 1903 on his table for $799. I was checking it out and he came on over explaining how nice it was. I agreed with him 100%. He asked me if I wanted it, and I said no thanks, I could get one from the CMP for 400 dollars like he had! He got all mad and blustery. He should have caught on quicker seeing how I was wearing my CMP T shirt. Swede
Old 01-03-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
The best gun shop around here is owned by very good people. I've heard the owner tell his customers that a few years ago the CMP was selling basically junk. He also tells the customers that the CMP is selling the best
M-1s he has ever seen now. He actually has the website taped to his front showcase and a list of requirements to participate in and with the CMP.
Those sound like good people, indeed!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldSwede View Post
During the time frame when the NS still had 1903's, I went to our local gun show. A vendor had a mediocre 1903 on his table for $799. I was checking it out and he came on over explaining how nice it was. I agreed with him 100%. He asked me if I wanted it, and I said no thanks, I could get one from the CMP for 400 dollars like he had! He got all mad and blustery. He should have caught on quicker seeing how I was wearing my CMP T shirt. Swede

LOL!!

That is the main reason I go to gun shows any more!

It's hard to find a quicker source of entertainment than walking up to a table, and having some folding chair commando get beet-red when you pick apart one of his "diamonds".
Old 01-03-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1garand1055 View Post
I wish I was only 2 hrs away from North store. I'd be there every other month.
Amen to that!

Then again, I'd be broke.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 PM

Kinda makes ya wish the charter was changed to exclude FFL's like the DCM did