Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depth Afield View Post
Canon? Yuck.

All one really needs is a grey card and a tripod, and they're golden. 8)
Lets see; the first ever ground glass asperical lens surfaces, the world's first (only?) use of Flourite lens elements, the world's fastest 400mm lens ever, the Fastest 300mm lens for over 15 years, the worlds fastest 24mm lens, 95% of all big teles used in sports for the last 30 years, the only lens ever with a F-value less than 1.0 (50mm F0.95). The worlds fastest motorized SLR in 1972, then again in 1984....

Yea Canon sure does suck.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
Light blue is best for this particular color range of grays, blacks, and browns. Look at what we all choose to take parts with. A light blue shop towel under our parts. It gives a true representation of the color pallet being photographed. A lighter background will cause the color of what is being photographed to be more dark than it really is. A Nikon D5000 is not a professional camera....I am just an amatuer photographer and use a 16.2 MP Nikon D7000. It really has little to do with the camera anyway and everything to do with the lens. If he shot these rifles with a 17-55mm f/2.8 ED lens than you could blow them up into a billboard.

I think your consultant photographer is a novice. Even an amatuer, photography enthusiast could make them look a trillion times better with strobe light boxes and a superior background color. The camera sees in tones of gray, not much gray in khaki...lots in light blue. Is he setting his camera using a gray card for white balance???? Probably not. I agree the pictures are subpar. Take the close-ups with a Nikon 60mm f/2.8 macro lens, not a regular lens. I think he is using somethig like a 28-105 f/3.5-5.6 lens. Much too slow.
Why don't they hire a monkey to do it. he will work for bannanas only.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillacMike View Post
Lets see; the first ever ground glass asperical lens surfaces, the world's first (only?) use of Flourite lens elements, the world's fastest 400mm lens ever, the Fastest 300mm lens for over 15 years, the worlds fastest 24mm lens, 95% of all big teles used in sports for the last 30 years, the only lens ever with a F-value less than 1.0 (50mm F0.95). The worlds fastest motorized SLR in 1972, then again in 1984....

Yea Canon sure does suck.
I have a SLR now. Why would I care what another company did in the past?

I would not trade my Nikkors for Canons. The only way I see me moving away from my Nikon gear is moving into digital medium format $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

PS: I also do my work on a Mac. This too should be an indicator about how much I care about % market share. Also, I would rather have a BMW than a Toyota.

Last edited by Depth Afield; 04-15-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Banned

Sounds like the saleman at the local camera store has really done their job, convincing people to buy things they really don't need, fastest, aspherical, F values less then 1, even though you will never use it. "Professional Camera", Macro lense, when you have a macro feature on the Camera. Canon V. Nikon V. Leica, some even take great pic's with their Cell Phones.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:37 PM

Yes and the auction photos look like they were taken with a cell phone.
You mean to tell me that the software used for the auction photos cannot host pics larger than about 400 pixels? Will it allow a rehost like the forum does?
If not then put the pics on Zenfolio like the match photos and just have the auction site link to them.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:41 PM

Guys instead of keeping on beating this issue like a dead horse. A few points to think about! Having a professional photography studio is not part of the CMP's mission statement. And, as for the software, it isn't just about the software, you have to think about the server capacity, uploading, bandwidth, etc. The current software was created in 2003, and it does have limits on the size of photos that can be uploaded for posting. And, as for using an independent source for uploading extra pictures (i.g. Photobucket, Zenfolio) this has been introduced a couple of years ago, and we did not want to take that route. The site and photos are what they are, especially to the ones who are actually bidding and winning the items.

Last edited by CMPBrian; 04-17-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPBrian View Post
Guys instead of keeping on beating this issue like a dead horse. A few points to think about! Having a professional photography studio is not part of the CMP's mission statement.
Our point is that it doesn't take that. I, and obviously many here, could take better pics in about 5 minutes.

Why so resitant to doing a better job???? Not like you just couldn't do what we suggested and purchase a $10 Russian Army blanket to get the background right. Many of us have this gear just for fun. Perhaps more would bid if they could see what they are purchasing?????

As for Paladin...you could not be more wrong about the need for good glass. A cheap camera cannot take pics with good clarity because the lenses are awful. A cheap camera is any point and shoot. Don't bother to mention camera phones. I have one with an 8 megapixel sensor and it sucks. How can a tiny lens gather light like a nice Nikkor 18-55mm f/2.8. If you don't know about something it is fine to just sit back and learn. You are as wrong as saying 2+2 = 3.

Canons are just fine...thier glass is just not as good as Nikon. They are cheaper and most professional photographers use them. I prefer Nikon, but that is just a personal preference. Depth Afield is dead right. An 18% gray card and a tripod. Background and lighting is also just as important. He knows exactly what he is talking about.

Last edited by hammonje; 04-17-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:39 PM

okay, well how about this example: If you state (on a M1A1) that the 'leather cheelpiece has slight tear", "or crack repaired in pistol grip", hows about providing a close up shot of that area? I'll concede you doing it with a cell phone and a teenage girl with a happy texting finger if you'll point out 'Up Close' points of obvious interest due to the inherent auction piece or due to your description.

That's fair isn't it?
Old 04-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=hammonje;328631]Our point is that it doesn't take that. I, and obviously many here, could take better pics in about 5 minutes.

As for Paladin...you could not be more wrong about the need for good glass. A cheap camera cannot take pics with good clarity because the lenses are awful. A cheap camera is any point and shoot. Don't bother to mention camera phones. I have one with an 8 megapixel sensor and it sucks. How can a tiny lens gather light like a nice Nikkor 18-55mm f/2.8. If you don't know about something it is fine to just sit back and learn. You are as wrong as saying 2+2 = 3.

I never said you don't need quality glass. You still haven't look at wiki on pixels, I can tell by you response. I said the higher the megapixel the better the picture when you enlarge it. as for the camera phones apparently you have not seen those photo contest that only use camera phones. My personal camera is a Nikon D3X with all Nikkor lenses, I even use lenses from my Nikon F2 on it, they just are not autofocus.. So I do know what I am talking about.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:48 AM

Default Photography

Ahhhh...........nothing like 'Photo 101' on the CMP forum. Yes yes.........I know, I don't have to read the thread so.......