Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2020, 08:36 AM

Going the vintage rifle route is a great idea, but one thing to consider is the cost of scoping them. Most of these early rifles were D&T'ed for the Unertl style scopes of the period and although they are available, they can cost you more then the rifle itself. That said, my recommendation is an older Anschutz M54 Match rifle. Although most are also D&T'ed for the older scopes, they also have 11mm dovetails that would allow you to mount a modern scope. I would recommend something like a Weaver CT24. You could probably get into a decent M54 for $800 - $900.

Art
Old 07-19-2020, 06:00 PM

Default The Rem 40x are d&t

So you can use modern scope.on a 40x.

the 52's are not d&t for modern scope but ar e for long tube scope.

Could use long Weaver blank base and mod it .See my thread on hra m12. See Steve Earle site.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:27 PM

Default Use epoxy to glue mounts to rec or bbl

I have heard it is done. It is probably very secure. Wave a torch or heat gun over area when want to remove blocks.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll start taking a look at those.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:08 PM

My wife shoots F-T/R (bipod & rear bag) smallbore with a US Property 40X. Rifle was made in 1963 as I recall.

This rifle was in near new condition when I bought from the guy who bought it from CMP. I suspect it had been a safe queen for it's entire career. Reason being was a 20% failure to extract. Turns out the extractor slots in the breech face were machined wrong. Got that corrected and it works and shoots great.

The rifle has the factory standard weight barrel and factory stock. Eventually I had it bedded and installed a Shilen Competition trigger.

As her shooting improved we had to move up the ammo ladder and now she uses Lapua Midas+ but some lots of Center-X are just as good.

Also went from a cheap scope to a 24X Redfield 3200.

She got her Master card soon after that.

Last season at the Firecracker 4800 smallbore regional at Whittington she shot a 200-18X on the first target. Thing is she had not pulled a trigger for almost a year.

F-class uses the 300m ISSF target reduced for 50 yd. I do not have the exact size but the X-ring is about 0.19" and the 10-ring is no bigger than a dime.

Ron Wigger is Lones' son and a former USMA rifle coach. He saw that 200-18X target in the scoring shed, asked what she was shooting and was told a stock 40X. I guess he did not believe it and came to the firing line and asked me what she was shooting. After I told him he said:

"Someone ought to take that rifle to the World Cup and kick butt with it."

This on a firing line populated with rifles having price tags north of $6,000.

I'm proud of my wife. I proud of and miss Bill Rennie who bedded it and refinished the stock.

If you have a good 40X you are not outgunned.

Mary and her 40X, 2020 Firecracker 4800, Whittington Center. My 40X in a Freeland laminated stock to her left:

“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)

Last edited by NMC_EXP; 09-25-2020 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 10-02-2020, 05:44 AM

Per the NRA rule 119.4 here are the targets for F-Class

Outdoor F-Class Classification:Dewar Course (50 yards or 50 meters and 100 yards) (A-50/A-51 and A-33 targets) 50 Yards or 50 meters (A-50/A-51 and A-26/A-27 targets)100 Yards (A-33 target and F37, F-38, F-39) target
Old 10-13-2020, 01:35 AM

The Malcolm USMC, particularly with the new Competition Unertl Mounts in 8X might be a nice option for those rifles already drilled for Unertl bases. Bright new glass, and the new micrometer seems even better than an original Unertl for crispness, knobs can now be reset to zero once rifle mechanical zero is established. CC
Old 10-13-2020, 08:41 PM

Love seeing the above photo of the 40X in competition and hearing the story!

I would put my 40XB up against anything out there old or new.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:52 PM

There are a number of older Anschutz 54 action rifles that would work great. I use a model 1416 or a model 1411 for that task and for benchrest. Can generally clean the targets with either eith higher end ammo. I have a model M2 Springfield and it's a great rifle but not in the same league as a older well cared for Anschutz. At our club the top shooters use Anschutz , a couple use Suhl. If you take your time you can find the Anschutz models for less than $1500. They are single shot and not repeaters. Lots of scope options but I personally like a Weaver T36 with target dot best. If you go the Anschutz route look for ones that have dual extractors, much better in extraction than the earliest single extractor bolts.