Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
Any thoughts on thumb safety and slide catch manufacturer?
The serrated slide stop and checkered thumb safety appear to be correct for your 1945 RR. It hasn't been mentioned, and you may already know, the slide is a RR type 3 slide and is correct for a 1945.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:14 PM

The thumb safety looks like it has the correct depressed checkering used by Remington Rand. RR also used quite a few barrels made by Flannery Bolt Co. in late production. Does the serrated mainspring housing have seven or eight ribs? Eight is correct for RR. The serrated hammer is not correct.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW View Post
The thumb safety looks like it has the correct depressed checkering used by Remington Rand. RR also used quite a few barrels made by Flannery Bolt Co. in late production. Does the serrated mainspring housing have seven or eight ribs? Eight is correct for RR. The serrated hammer is not correct.
Thank for the comments, JCW. The mainspring housing does have eight ribs.

Tomorrow I will be posting some other photos of this field grade showing some of the unusual wear on the gun that I would like to get opinions on.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:20 PM

I wanted to post a few photos of some interesting wear on this Field grade RR. I was hoping to get some opinions on what sort of scenario could have caused these and whether there is cause for concern before I fire the weapon this weekend.

Thank you for your input, gents.

The first picture shows an indention in the safety notch on the slide. It's hard to see, but there is actually a bulge on the left side of the slide. Is is possible that somehow a round was fired while the safety was not fully disengaged? That's the only thing I can surmise that would cause enough force to dent the slide notch and bulge the slide. Also it's worth noting that the safety has over-travel downward and it has substantial resistance to engage upward, fully. Hammer will drop when engaged in the "half-safe" position. See video below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xispwkfjxr...%20PM.mov?dl=0

The next one is of some punch marks around the slide stop hole on the right side of the pistol. Would there every be a need for someone to have to use a punch to push the slide stop out?

Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 10-16-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:07 PM

Marks around slide stop hole - I can envision someone having difficulty removing the slide stop and tapping at it with any number of metal objects a GI routinely carried. It doesn't take me much imagination to see this happening.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:23 PM

I once watched a person get ready to do just that. He wasn't familiar with the 1911 and this was way before YouTube. He bought it at a gun show and couldn't figure it out. I happened to stop at his house and showed him how to field strip it without a claw hammer. Jeez, this must have been in the early eighties.
You are probably correct about firing with the thumb safety interfering with the slide, causing the slide deformation, which would suggest the safety was not properly fitted with the sear at some point in the distant past.

Last edited by FLD; 10-16-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:51 PM

If the hammer drops in the half cock possition you need to have that looked at. The safety may have been damaged.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
If the hammer drops in the half cock possition you need to have that looked at. The safety may have been damaged.
It doesn’t, Casper. I tested it that and we’re good to go.

I did elect not to shoot the pistol this weekend until I get further feedback. Would you all suggest taking it to a gunsmith (cringe) to see if can salvage the original thumb safety and fit it properly? Is it something that I could do myself?

Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 10-18-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
It doesn’t, Casper. I tested it that and we’re good to go.

I did elect not to shoot the pistol this weekend until I get further feedback. Would you all suggest taking it to a gunsmith (cringe) to see if can salvage the original thumb safety and fit it properly? Is it something that I could do myself?
CMP recommends inspection by a gunsmith and I don't disagree with that.
As to whether or not you can inspect and repair your 1911, that depends on how comfortable you are with doing close tolerance work and if you have the necessary blueprints, service manuals and tools to properly fit the trigger group components.
I am not a gunsmith. That said, I'm comfortable inspecting my 1911 pistols if one of them malfunctions.
Before taking yours to the range, I'd recommend performing a complete safety/function test as outlined in the manual included with your pistol.
Best of luck and be safe.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD View Post
CMP recommends inspection by a gunsmith and I don't disagree with that.
Thanks FLD. Does that recommendation come with all three grades?