Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2020, 01:56 PM

Default Opinions on a very unique Lend Lease

I am a collector of Lend Leases and when I saw this one I knew i had to add it to my collection. That said, I have never seen anything like this rifle before. Has anyone seen one wrapped in grease papper before? The red band appears like it may have had orange paint under the red? I have seen that on a few others online, but none in my collection look like that. Also, the stencil paint is gray and not black. I do not doubt its authenticity in the least looking at it, but it certainly is a unique Lend Lease. Part of me wants to clean it up but I feel there may be some significance lost if I do that. I'd welcome any and all thoughts on this one.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...utomatic-rifle

Last edited by Mutiger; 10-16-2020 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:04 PM

That is a SWEET rifle!
My concern with taking the wax paper off would be the color difference, if any, with the rest of the stock. If that isn't an issue, I say remove the paper. If you do open it up, I hope you'll take detailed pictures and post them here.
Incredible find.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:41 PM

Would you have paid as much as you did if rifle wasnt in paper?????? I guess no you wouldnt have, I would not remove it. Leave as is
Old 10-16-2020, 07:56 PM

Default Lend Lease M1

A time capsule,leave it as is.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:08 PM

I would no more "clean" up that rifle than I would clean up my Red Star Remington. A lot of the history is in the dilapidated wrapping.

I looked hard at that rifle, but was (only slightly) concerned about the Type 1 lock bar versus the flush nut. It could be argued that your rifle is right on the cusp.

I also have spent way too much lately on rifles. I already have representative Lend Leases in my collection; all considerably earlier.

I can see why someone that specialized in Lend Leases would like this specimen. Most importantly, beautiful wood.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:36 PM

A few years ago, I bought a bunch of mosin 91/30s that were wrapped in wax paper and cosmoline. I found a lot of rust under the Woodline from moister build up. Of course I doubt the Russians stored them in ideal conditions.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelap View Post
I would no more "clean" up that rifle than I would clean up my Red Star Remington. A lot of the history is in the dilapidated wrapping.

I looked hard at that rifle, but was (only slightly) concerned about the Type 1 lock bar versus the flush nut. It could be argued that your rifle is right on the cusp.

I also have spent way too much lately on rifles. I already have representative Lend Leases in my collection; all considerably earlier.

I can see why someone that specialized in Lend Leases would like this specimen. Most importantly, beautiful wood.
FWIW, a close friend has a mint lend lease that is less than 3000 numbers lower in SN than this example, and it also has a type 1 lockbar. I'm confident it's correct.

To the original poster, leave it as is. What an incredible piece of M1 history. I'm sure everyone would appreciate seeing some additional detailed photos of it, obviously without taking it apart though. It looks like the bolt has already been opened, if you're brave enough to do it, it would be interesting to see what the UK proof house markings look like on the barrel.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:54 PM

I understand why you would not want to clean it, but at the same time unless you can display it in a museum type setting whatís the point of having it. As is you probably donít even want to touch it. Why let it sit in the back of the safe just to think about it now and then. I say clean the dang thing and post more pics.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Would you have paid as much as you did if rifle wasnt in paper?????? I guess no you wouldnt have, I would not remove it. Leave as is
Like Orlando says, don't touch it. If you remove the paper and cosmoline, then your rifle becomes just another Lend Lease that's just like all the rest, and worth no more than same.
Regarding the paint, seems to me that the colors have naturally faded over the past 60 plus years. It would seem reasonable that red becomes orange and black becomes gray by oxidation of oil based paint.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:02 PM

Looks like the receiver heel was cleaned. Can't unring that bell. If it were my mine, I'd want to see the beauty of the entire rifle and not the wrapper. Very nice.

Distinguished Rifleman #2349