Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3126 View Post
A day (or so) late and (several) dollar(s) short! I have watched the 1903a3 supplies slowly dwindle! Had planned a trip from Indianapolis, just prior to the Thanksgiving Holiday to Florida (for my Grandson's birthday), with a buying stop to pick up the best available. Now....? Any thoughts on future availability?
Itís really only a guess. Itís my understanding that this group of 1903a3ís were veteran group returns and that CMP had been holding these returns for years until they had a large enough inventory to put these into all three stores. There may be others available in the future but we can only wait and hope that there are more.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:33 AM

Default Friday opening report

There were 6 customers at opening and the racks were full.

Armors today are Bobby, Ellyn and Taska.

Stocks are 100% USGI except CMP Special CMP stocks. Only saw one light SA cartouche, couldnít read, one SA Open box stock and numerous DAS stamps.

There was a USMC tagged rifle which was blank, MCSCB form, Marine Corps Supply Center Barstow, also couple of DOD bar tags.

Several very nice LEAD rebuilds and an Anniston rebuild, A4 stock and etched A4 6-64 on legs of rifle, donít see them that often.

SA SG 23/ FG zero/ SA 6 million 4. Some six digits available. Pretty nice rifles overall.

HRA SG 2.

IHC SG 1/ FG 5/ Gap Letter 4 million 1. Didnít see any IHC stocks.

WRA SG 6/ FG 34. FG condition overall isnít bad, stocks are pretty nice but metal finish a little rough on some, most not bad, barrel reading are also generally pretty good. Several WIN13ís, one with WRA barrel and several rifles with WRA barrels. Some 6 digits present, 1010xx...

CMP Special 3/ FG 9

M1C SA SG 1, #345xxxx with SA 12/54 barrel and matching serialized mount. Very nice!!

M1D WRA RG, 1, ME/TE 3/6..

1903 SG 2/ FG 21. One with a SA 1905 barrel, wish it could tell itís story..

1903a3 1.

1917 SG 8/ FG 4. Three WRAís, one with WRA barrel, others all Eddystone.

Good luck on your searches.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
A day (or so) late and (several) dollar(s) short! I have watched the 1903a3 supplies slowly dwindle! Had planned a trip from Indianapolis, just prior to the Thanksgiving Holiday to Florida (for my Grandson's birthday), with a buying stop to pick up the best available. Now....? Any thoughts on future availability?

Remember the TMP will possibly also have 03A3's as well.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Might be worth making a trip to the North Store based on a recent post....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les 51 View Post
I was there at 8:30 Thurs. there were about 46 SA & HRA service grades with just a few really nice ones, including an unissued LEAD rebuild with red triangle on stock and a nice SA 12 -42 with original barrel,lock bar sights,6 uncut op rod and GI wood.
24 IHC service grades,24 1903A3 service grades,24 1903 field grades,about 5 1903 service grades,about 8 WRA field grades, 1 HRA correct, about 6 WRA field grade specials on a spin rack and a few others on the rack by the checkout windows. About seven customers in the store when I left at 9:20
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=270536
Old 10-16-2020, 01:34 PM

I was at the TMP yesterday and they had 6-8 1903A3, all in S stocks and ok, nothing jumped off the rack at me and said take me home.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:49 PM

Default Friday Closing Report AND TMP RESTOCK!!!

There was no restock today at the store and there were 13 empty slots at closing.

TMP has been RESTOCKED this afternoon and the racks are almost full, 90%....

I made the trip to TMP this afternoon and this is the report.

Mostly USGI stocks 90/10 CMP stocks, except CMP Special which are CMP stocks. There were several cartouche stocks present, a very nice SA #366xxxx EMcF 90%/ EMcF 50%/ SA JLG with overstamp DAS which you donít see often 90%/ couple JLGís, SA GAW 50% and BA stamped rebuild 100% stock.

There were also two RRA rebuild, SA & HRA, one stamped and the other electric penned, one of the rebuilds also had a RRA stamped stock.

Lots of lock bar sights. Overall a good rifle selection is available.

1903 SG 5/ FG 20

1917 SG 21/ FG 20/ WRA 13 most with WRA barrels/ remained mostly Eddeystone.

1903a3 SG 3/ FG 7

M1C SA SG 9/ FG 5.

M1D WRA RG 8.

SA/HRA SG 35/ FG 10/ SA 6 million 7.

IHC SG 11/ FG 3/ Gap Letter 4 million 2.

WRA SG 12/ FG 13.

CMP Special SA/HRA 3/ RG 20.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:55 PM

Thanks for all the information on the 1903A3's. Maybe there is still hope. Maybe I will make a North Store trip next week... It is about a 10 hour round trip to North (including shopping time). Would rather hit the South Store or TMP as described. Thanks again!

Last edited by r3126; 10-16-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:22 AM

Default Saturday Opening Report

There were 12 customers at opening and the racks were full.

Armors today are Colby, Jeff and Haisten.

PERSONAL NOTE. A member of the Forum Grayusmc posted a video, “PH68 video” of my oldest grandson, Ben and I, in reference to my past service in the USMC and Ben’s future service in the USMC. It was an HONOR to be ask by the USMC to appear in this short recruiting video. Just in case someone would like to watch it.

Stocks are almost 100% USGI except for Specials that are CMP stock. Saw only a SA GAW and JLG cartouche, but many DAS stamped stocks were available. There was a good selection of rifles available this morning and a good number with original WWII and post war barrels.

SA/HRA SG 26/ FG 8/ SA 6 million 4. There was a nice five digit, 16xxx, present as well as several six digits.

HRA SG 5.

IHC SG 3/ FG 3/ Gap Letter 4 million 1.

WRA SG 8/ FG 28. There were a few with WRA barrels and WIN13’s available, but not with WRA barrel.

CMP Specials SA/HRA 3/ RG 9, finish runs from good to not so good, but some are very nice RG’s...

M1C SA SG 2, one very nice rifle sold, it was one of the nicest I’ve seen in the store, believe that it was unissued!!

1903 SG zero/ FG 19, good condition, some with original barrels.

1903a3 SG 5/ FG zero, condition good, some with original barrels.

1917 SG 6/ FG 6, condition is excellent to good, some with original barrels.

Nice bayonets available by asking the store staff.

Last edited by PH68; 10-17-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:24 PM

Default Made the trip down today

Based on Tom's reports I decided to make the trip to the store even though it is deer archery season in Tennessee. He makes it sound too good to stay away.
My brother and long time friend Mike made the drive with me. Always better when you have company for the 4 hour ride.
I bet Tom I would beat him to the store and was there 1 1/2 hours before opening and beat him by 5 minutes. Good enough for me. There were a couple guys from St Louis that were even there before I got there. That don't happen often.
In spite of great expectations I did not find anything at the South Store in the morning that I felt I needed to buy. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of really nice rifles, but nothing to fill a hole in my collection. My buddy Mike, with Tom's help, bought a 1942 rifle with it's original barrel. Pretty cool I must say.
I did see a rifle with an uncut -1 Op-Rod but not really into parts like that so just thought it was real cool. I hope someone that needs it finds it. It is on an SA 4.2 mil Service Grade with original barrel if still there next Thursday.

We decided to go to the range store since Tom indicated that they had received a restock of rifles. Lots of really nice rifles but nothing that tripped my trigger. One fairly nice EMcF stock which is cool to see.
My buddy Mike found a 1943 SA with original barrel and some other early parts so he bought it. He is 2-0 and so far I am 0-2.

We decide to go back to the South Store on our way back home (right on the way) to see if they had a restock since business was pretty brisk that morning with lots of sales.
I am glad we made the 2nd stop. When we walked in it seemed there was not nearly enough empty spaces for the number of rifles sold that morning so I started looking again.
Found a 4.2 mil SA that is mostly correct and looks to have been left in a musty basement for the last 50 years at least. I am thinking it reminds me of some of the Philippine Returns.
The stock and other wood are pretty much undamaged and has a really nice SA JLG cart. Everything inside the rifle looks right. Maybe the only exception would be the Gas Cylinder, Lock and Screw. They look like they have been there a while but do not look correct. I am not inclined to change anything until I dig in a little more. I think these Springfield start of production rifles are pretty interesting and want to learn a bit more about it. So now I am not going to strike out which pretty cool. I always like to find something to make the 4 hour ride home a bit brighter.
When I was at the store earlier in the morning I had seen a Smith Corona 1903-A3 in the rack that said it had a good bore. I have been bit in the past on that so I had checked it with my bore light and saw that it was far from good and was actually pretty dark. On my 2nd trip to the store I thought I might take a 2nd look at it.
When I walked over the the rack that had the 1903-A3s I did not see it but I did see 2 new Smith Coronas!!! Been looking for one for quite a while. Both were pretty nice with low numbers and bright bores so I picked the one with the best wood and brought it home as well. Cross that one off the bucket list.
Odd how a day that started out to look like just a ride down south and back turned into finding two really nice rifles to add to fill holes in my collection.

Oh, that -1 Op-Rod was still there when we left in the afternoon if someone needs it.

Overall a really good day,
Rob
Old 10-17-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob30-06 View Post
Based on Tom's reports I decided to make the trip to the store even though it is deer archery season in Tennessee. He makes it sound too good to stay away.
My brother and long time friend Mike made the drive with me. Always better when you have company for the 4 hour ride.
I bet Tom I would beat him to the store and was there 1 1/2 hours before opening and beat him by 5 minutes. Good enough for me. There were a couple guys from St Louis that were even there before I got there. That don't happen often.
In spite of great expectations I did not find anything at the South Store in the morning that I felt I needed to buy. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of really nice rifles, but nothing to fill a hole in my collection. My buddy Mike, with Tom's help, bought a 1942 rifle with it's original barrel. Pretty cool I must say.
I did see a rifle with an uncut -1 Op-Rod but not really into parts like that so just thought it was real cool. I hope someone that needs it finds it. It is on an SA 4.2 mil Service Grade with original barrel if still there next Thursday.

We decided to go to the range store since Tom indicated that they had received a restock of rifles. Lots of really nice rifles but nothing that tripped my trigger. One fairly nice EMcF stock which is cool to see.
My buddy Mike found a 1943 SA with original barrel and some other early parts so he bought it. He is 2-0 and so far I am 0-2.

We decide to go back to the South Store on our way back home (right on the way) to see if they had a restock since business was pretty brisk that morning with lots of sales.
I am glad we made the 2nd stop. When we walked in it seemed there was not nearly enough empty spaces for the number of rifles sold that morning so I started looking again.
Found a 4.2 mil SA that is mostly correct and looks to have been left in a musty basement for the last 50 years at least. I am thinking it reminds me of some of the Philippine Returns.
The stock and other wood are pretty much undamaged and has a really nice SA JLG cart. Everything inside the rifle looks right. Maybe the only exception would be the Gas Cylinder, Lock and Screw. They look like they have been there a while but do not look correct. I am not inclined to change anything until I dig in a little more. I think these Springfield start of production rifles are pretty interesting and want to learn a bit more about it. So now I am not going to strike out which pretty cool. I always like to find something to make the 4 hour ride home a bit brighter.
When I was at the store earlier in the morning I had seen a Smith Corona 1903-A3 in the rack that said it had a good bore. I have been bit in the past on that so I had checked it with my bore light and saw that it was far from good and was actually pretty dark. On my 2nd trip to the store I thought I might take a 2nd look at it.
When I walked over the the rack that had the 1903-A3s I did not see it but I did see 2 new Smith Coronas!!! Been looking for one for quite a while. Both were pretty nice with low numbers and bright bores so I picked the one with the best wood and brought it home as well. Cross that one off the bucket list.
Odd how a day that started out to look like just a ride down south and back turned into finding two really nice rifles to add to fill holes in my collection.

Oh, that -1 Op-Rod was still there when we left in the afternoon if someone needs it.

Overall a really good day,
Rob

Your posts are always a good read Rob. Congratulations to you and Mike for finding what sounds like some really nice rifles. I plan to beat you to the store next but as early as you get there I need to bring my bed!!! LOL