Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2022, 08:00 AM

I agree, this is a lend lease rifle that has had its barrel swapped out. A shame it wasn’t left alone but still a wonderful rifle. Finding a correct barrel will be hard - you’re actually more likely to find a proof stamped lend lease barrel because dum-dums swap them out, which is what I’d put back on there if it were mine.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:13 AM

Default 42

(One more pic that would be nice - a clear shot of the rear sight cover to see if a code mark is present.)[/QUOTE]

What is a code marked sight cover?
Old 06-25-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed49 View Post
The bolt is correct for the serial number. Does not need to be changed.

The type 1 lock bar is also correct for this rifle.

From the condition of the rifle and the serial number, I would suspect this rifle may be a possible Lend-Lease.

The gas cylinder appears to be a wide base. Is it ?

Of course, the gas cylinder should be narrow base with the front sight screw seal in place.

Can you give us a pic of the top front of the bolt, especially showing the right operating lug as well as the front of the bolt ?

Also, pics of the top front of the receiver and the right front of the receiver that would be under the hump of the op rod when the bolt is closed.

Thanks.

(One more pic that would be nice - a clear shot of the rear sight cover to see if a code mark is present.)
Good catch on the bolt I didn't bother looking it up. Yes it is a wide base gas cylinder.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2022, 09:57 AM

My suspicion is that this rifle may be a London proofed Lend-Lease as the London stamps are often a lot more obscure than the Birmingham stamps.
Also, the London proof stamp was placed on the side of the receiver which is hidden when the bolt is forward but can be seen (but often not clearly) when the bolt is retracted. Birmingham was placed on the top of the receiver ring at the front.

In this time period, the rear sight cover would have a code mark The assumption is this is an inspector's code. Most often, the mark is stamped on the front lip of the cover in the middle. However, the mark may be found almost anywhere on the cover - off center or on the side at the edge or higher back from the lip.
These codes can be most anything including numbers, letters, punctuation marks, or stylized stampings. So far, I have seen only single marks used - not double numbers, letters, etc.

Russell J,
Before I could get this response posted, I saw your pic of the bolt. I did not need to look further.
This is the Birmingham proof which would be seen on those rifles stamped under the op rod with a date code of F.

NOW I'll look at your other pics.
I am expecting to see the Birmingham stamp of a crown over BNP facing to the right and close to the middle of the receiver front.

Yes, the stamp is there but a somewhat obscure one which is not unusual at all.. The code on the rear sight cover is visible.
I hate that the gas cylinder has been replaced.

Again, you do not need to replace the bolt. It is the correct and original one.

Another way to tell if the rear sight cover is period correct is by the ribbing on each side. I'm not really sure how to describe it in a way that would make sense, but I am satisfied that this rear sight cover is correct and original on this rifle.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:46 AM

I see it now. Thank you Ed

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2022, 12:34 PM

Yes, that pic is much better. Does show the BNP and it is facing right.

The 1955 proofed Birmingham rifles are stamped under the op rod with date code F. So far as I have seen, the later Birmingham proofs appear on the top of the receiver ring but face left. The stamp on the bolt moves from the operating lug to the top of the bolt. The barrel stamps move to the muzzle between the gas cylinder rings.
Unfortunately, London did not start date coding until 1972 or 1973 and the rifles were stamped on the muzzle.

If you should try to find a barrel for your rifle, to be correct it should be BNP stamped under the op rod at the barrel date and should be dated 3-42 or earlier..

I, too, have seen loose BNP stamped barrels over the years. Many have been dated 8-41 and several 10-41. I haven't seen many other dates though.