Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2018, 04:48 AM

Default shout out to CMP

so I have to give credit where credit is due. I spent the last 4 days shooting the CMP cup. Having shot the Creedmoor Cup the past couple of years, the CMP had some large shoes to fill on top of trying to run a large match with E targets. I have to say the CMP nailed it. this was one of the most enjoyable matches I've shot, just like all the past Creedmoor cups.

CMP and KTS staff were on the ball with the targets this weekend. if a hiccup came up, they were right on it. i'm not saying the targets were perfect but they were much better than people had feared. I think a lot of shooters missed out on a great match because of this fear. our target went down on Sunday during the change over from 200-300. we were put on another target and rolled on. not sure what the issue was but it was taken care of so no worries. those targets took a beating. I figure over the 4 days alone they took almost 50k rounds through them. I heard of a couple lost shots but provisional shots were given in those cases. the target backers were checked after the match was over for any shots under protest and to my knowledge, just about all of them were resolved one way or the other.

being off the range at 2pm all 3 days for the Cup was great,even with the change over from 200,300 and 600 yards and the CMP crew having to change out target faces and they worked very hard to get it done.

some shooters had concerns about the E targets hurting comradery in the pits. while it is true there was no comradery in the pits, there was plenty of it behind the firing line and probably more so than in the pits. during change overs, I saw not one person sitting by there selves looking all lonely. there was plenty of yacking to go around

all in all, I am ready to go back. I hope others read this and will give it a chance next go round
Old 05-02-2018, 07:14 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ItsGarand

Yes, they do a very good job. I don't do the cup, just the Games. Only complaint that I have is the schedule this year sucks. IMHO the Games should remain before the Cup matches.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:52 PM

I think they told me today that over that 50k rounds fired they only "lost" 2 shots...

not bad...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1715468131859756/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 05-03-2018, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2171 View Post
I think they told me today that over that 50k rounds fired they only "lost" 2 shots...

not bad...
I would say that's very acceptable. I know some shooters will say that it needs to be 100% perfect to be acceptable but I look at it like this. how many times have we had someone yank the target after the 1st shot in rapids or had someone that isn't paying attention and you have to call for a mark every other shot. or you get the guy that's too lazy to find a shot in the line and marks it as a miss? human error can be more frustrating. at long as the CMP gives the benefit of the doubt and allows provisional shots, I see no issue. of course those shots would need to be verified with the backers later on. if a shot comes up a 7 on target and you think otherwise, it can be easily verified one way or the other.

I would say we, as shooters, will probably need to rethink how we handle ourselves if a questionable shot comes up or if our target goes down for whatever reason. I think bringing extra ammo and getting our heads wrapped around the possibility of having to refire needs to be thought about. if we have to fire an extra round or a string, we need to be able to roll with it and move on. everyone knows this sport is as much of a mental game as it is physical so I see no reason why we can't overcome these little obstacle.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2171 View Post

not bad...
After 50k rounds and 2 hots were "lost"? I don't care if it were 20 rounds lost. It's all in the way the staff reacts to the problem. I witnessed 2 lost shots and I can say the staffs reaction to both of those was perfect. There was minimal inconvenience to the shooter and the outcome was positive for all involved.

Nothing is perfect. Systems, mechanics and electronics will all fail. But when those who are running the show stand up to the challenge those failures become less of a problem.

Good job CMP.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 05-03-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
It's all in the way the staff reacts to the problem. I witnessed 2 lost shots and I can say the staffs reaction to both of those was perfect. There was minimal inconvenience to the shooter and the outcome was positive for all involved.

Good job CMP.
exactly this!
Old 05-03-2018, 07:57 PM

I agree... I thought I was a victim today...

Offhand and staying in the black then all of a sudden a miss at 3 o'clock just outside the 5..

I'm like WTF I didn't call that at all... so reloaded and got back in the game...next shot was 2" from the LAST and another miss...now I'm really WTF??

Last 4 shots were 9, 8 10, 10...

I had a 74 offhand with 2 misses...

I called the block official over and basically said i'm not challenging it..but look at the screen I can't explain 2 misses in the same spot then I went back to the black.

He said if they showed on my screen then they hit the target and thats where the sensor plotted them. He looked at my spots and kinda shrugged..

Dunno maybe if one of the 4 sensors crapped out for two shots or I just managed to throw two misses 2" from each other... oh well it's butner...lol
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1715468131859756/ CMP Travel Games FB Group