Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 01:13 PM

Default Correctors Are Every Where

Small club swap day. Billy Bob shows up with an Inland. Looks very nice.

Intimates he does not collect carbines or know much about them. Suddenly every known Inland mark variation flows from his pie hole. Why this one is just right down to the last stamp on the front sight is explained.

Buzz words like all original parts and correct float around. An intimation of original condition to the unwashed such as myself. A mere pittance of $1100.

A look see shows:
-Nice IO stock rebuilt at least twice with not a mark on it besides the IO and an OGF on the left side under the sight. No P proofs, no cartouche trace. Good butt plate wood left. No overhang. Careful sanding.
-Adjustable rear sight just as made we are assured.
-12/43 barrel built into a rifle exactly in 1/43 we are told cause he checked the book.
-Barrel very nice inside.
-Skinny half width band on the stock with a u on it.
-Front sight pin had been hammered out and put back from the metal dome's look.
-Nice front sight unmatched to barrel and receiver even after rebuilds (assuming the metal stayed with the wood which of course is about impossible)
-Even the exact right Inland magazine we's are advised.
-Sling from another era noted by owner like it mattered.

Interesting conversation with the unknowledgeable seller. He got rolling and told us how he once bought a Marlin barrel just to have one. Stupid me says Marlin made carbines? That got a good laugh from him noting they only made barrels.

One of the guys with us knows me. We winked and listened a lot and laughed well as he walked away wondering why the guy was selling his "best" carbine.

Or as the Sarge says, "Be careful out there."
Old 02-15-2014, 04:15 PM

I ran into a similar goofball today. Had the day off from work, decided to drive around and hit the small gunshops that I normally don't get to visit much. Six of them in all. At shop #4 I find a garand tucked in the corner rack which contains mostly high end trap guns, except for a garand and a trapdoor rifle. I ask if they are for sale and got scolded at "NO they are not for sale!" Ok, I keep looking around and found a carbine in another rack. This place is dark inside with very poor lighting so I can not even see what maker it is. As soon as I pick it up the 500lb blob sitting on a stool at the cash register tells me "that ones all original and you can have it for 1500". Hmm. As I look it over I still can't tell the maker name under the milled adjustable rear sight, but I can see the Standard Product recoil plate, the Underwood 1-43 barrel markings, the JMQ T3 band, and I see a freshly hammered small ordnance wheel in the right side of the butt. It was so fresh and such a hard hit that it still had nice sharp wood splinters sticking out of it. Fake sling covered the IO marking in the cut which also looked handstamped as the I and O were at angles to each other. Not a single part matched for age/wear, most looked like fresh reparked stuff but it did have what looked like a blued flat bolt. I wanted so bad to "get into it" with this dufus but I just bit my tongue and decided to leave and move on to the next shop. Never did find anything worth buying. That was the only carbine out of the 6 stores and the only other garand I found was priced at 1100 and I wouldn't have given half that for it.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:05 PM

How do these stores make any money being so nasty. I met the same 450# blob on a metal folding chair eyeballing everything in the pawn shop, gun store, tool store while in Fla. last week. Picked up a set of S&W K frame round butt grips out of the box of 100 sets by organized by brand in the one box marked S&W, took them up, asked the price, twice reasonable, said I'd just put them back, the guy snarls I can order them from S&W at the same price and pay shipping, and he tosses them to another mutt to put back into the box since "Dis'guy, don'na wanna them." Yeah, customer relations. Not.

Last edited by .Steve.; 02-15-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:02 AM

I am not a carbine expert in any sense of the word, but I do own a few and have a couple copies of Larry Ruth's books, so when a local gun store owner called and asked if I could look at a carbine a young lady had brought in I agreed. I walk in and find him holding a 12-44 barrel dated Inland. No surprise the serial number matched the barrel date and manufacture, but the Gun was glued with a round bolt and no bayonet lug with no wear on barrel where one would have rubbed. So he buys it from the young lady at a predetermined price and I promise to return with my books for a closer look. He then tells the young lady that if it turns out to be something special he will contact her and pay her and additional amount if he is able to sell it for more then he thought. I come back and spend 3 hours dissecting this carbine. Everything matched up with what I could find in Ruth's book. In my including minor surface rust and dried Cosmo. I believe she had an untouched 44 inland. Store owner called and told her. I have known this man many years and know that he will make good on his promise to her, so I feel that I have been very privileged to actually have seen what I believe to be a true untouched carbine.

Garrett
Old 02-16-2014, 08:18 AM

Default OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarter11 View Post
I am not a carbine expert in any sense of the word, but I do own a few and have a couple copies of Larry Ruth's books, so when a local gun store owner called and asked if I could look at a carbine a young lady had brought in I agreed. I walk in and find him holding a 12-44 barrel dated Inland. No surprise the serial number matched the barrel date and manufacture, but the Gun was glued with a round bolt and no bayonet lug with no wear on barrel where one would have rubbed. So he buys it from the young lady at a predetermined price and I promise to return with my books for a closer look. He then tells the young lady that if it turns out to be something special he will contact her and pay her and additional amount if he is able to sell it for more then he thought. I come back and spend 3 hours dissecting this carbine. Everything matched up with what I could find in Ruth's book. In my including minor surface rust and dried Cosmo. I believe she had an untouched 44 inland. Store owner called and told her. I have known this man many years and know that he will make good on his promise to her, so I feel that I have been very privileged to actually have seen what I believe to be a true untouched carbine.

Garrett
One in a million there..............not too often will you hear that....
Old 02-16-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVN 69-70 View Post
One in a million there..............not too often will you hear that....
Some of my local dealers would have called her and told her it was junk and ask for some money back!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Riflenut View Post
I ran into a similar goofball today. Had the day off from work, decided to drive around and hit the small gunshops that I normally don't get to visit much. Six of them in all. At shop #4 I find a garand tucked in the corner rack which contains mostly high end trap guns, except for a garand and a trapdoor rifle. I ask if they are for sale and got scolded at "NO they are not for sale!" Ok, I keep looking around and found a carbine in another rack. This place is dark inside with very poor lighting so I can not even see what maker it is. As soon as I pick it up the 500lb blob sitting on a stool at the cash register tells me "that ones all original and you can have it for 1500". Hmm. As I look it over I still can't tell the maker name under the milled adjustable rear sight, but I can see the Standard Product recoil plate, the Underwood 1-43 barrel markings, the JMQ T3 band, and I see a freshly hammered small ordnance wheel in the right side of the butt. It was so fresh and such a hard hit that it still had nice sharp wood splinters sticking out of it. Fake sling covered the IO marking in the cut which also looked handstamped as the I and O were at angles to each other. Not a single part matched for age/wear, most looked like fresh reparked stuff but it did have what looked like a blued flat bolt. I wanted so bad to "get into it" with this dufus but I just bit my tongue and decided to leave and move on to the next shop. Never did find anything worth buying. That was the only carbine out of the 6 stores and the only other garand I found was priced at 1100 and I wouldn't have given half that for it.
I love when they eat lunch on the counter! Sorry to bother you.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:12 AM

Pawn shops can be the worst to talk or deal with. Especially home owned ones. They deal with many of the dregs of society and it rubs off on them and their attitudes suck.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Steve. View Post
Small club swap day. Billy Bob shows up with an Inland. Looks very nice.

Intimates he does not collect carbines or know much about them. Suddenly every known Inland mark variation flows from his pie hole. Why this one is just right down to the last stamp on the front sight is explained.

Buzz words like all original parts and correct float around. An intimation of original condition to the unwashed such as myself. A mere pittance of $1100.

A look see shows:
-Nice IO stock rebuilt at least twice with not a mark on it besides the IO and an OGF on the left side under the sight. No P proofs, no cartouche trace. Good butt plate wood left. No overhang. Careful sanding.
-Adjustable rear sight just as made we are assured.
-12/43 barrel built into a rifle exactly in 1/43 we are told cause he checked the book.
-Barrel very nice inside.
-Skinny half width band on the stock with a u on it.
-Front sight pin had been hammered out and put back from the metal dome's look.
-Nice front sight unmatched to barrel and receiver even after rebuilds (assuming the metal stayed with the wood which of course is about impossible)
-Even the exact right Inland magazine we's are advised.
-Sling from another era noted by owner like it mattered.

Interesting conversation with the unknowledgeable seller. He got rolling and told us how he once bought a Marlin barrel just to have one. Stupid me says Marlin made carbines? That got a good laugh from him noting they only made barrels.

One of the guys with us knows me. We winked and listened a lot and laughed well as he walked away wondering why the guy was selling his "best" carbine.

Or as the Sarge says, "Be careful out there."
"Interesting conversation with the unknowledgeable seller. He got rolling and told us how he once bought a Marlin barrel just to have one. Stupid me says Marlin made carbines? That got a good laugh from him noting they only made barrels."

I am confused about this part of your post. No Marlin did not make any full on Carbines but they did make barrels. What are you exactly saying in that part? Seems you are saying you found it funny he said they made barrels though? Just curious.

I collect Marlins so I would kinda like to have one of their M1 Carbine barrels just to have one too..I actually bought some Marlin Razor Blades once..

Last edited by carbineone; 02-16-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Steve. View Post
How do these stores make any money being so nasty.... ." Yeah, customer relations. Not.
A common theme regarding independent gun store owners.