Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2016, 08:28 PM

Default Things To Consider Before Shooting Any New To You Carbine

1). A lot of folks just got a new to them carbine. CMP or otherwise.

2). A lot of folks visit here without posting.

3). Fewer yet ask questions.

4). Some do not understand what questions to ask.

5). THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION. ONLY QUESTIONS NO ONE ASKED.

6). As to questions to ask, please note the two Stickys atop this forum with .Steve. as the writer. They are there partly to store possibly useful, however in-artfully written, information. They are also there to Flag or Red Flag safety issues.

7). If you are new to Carbines, new to firearms, or have never bothered to scan the topics in them, scroll through each simply to know what is there that might be useful in the future. Right, wrong, or confusing, their contents may just alert you to something future wise useful. The excitement of playing with an expensive new toy can easily get any of us ahead of our knowledge base. Prior awareness of safety and function issues can keep us all safer.

8). Its why some one had me write them years ago. A way to clear up confusion before creating yourself a problem. Or if you don't like my dim bulb version, a basis to ask brighter lights for their studied opinions.

9). Read and Ask.

10). Some one will try to help you or steer you to an answer.

Last edited by .Steve.; 03-18-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:50 PM

no stupid questions, I have seen people put the ammo in backwards into a mag.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:11 AM

Default Why;

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtime7 View Post
no stupid questions, I have seen people put the ammo in backwards into a mag.
Why do they do that?
Old 03-19-2016, 10:17 AM

Very true. Everybody was a FNG at some time.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:18 AM

Default PhD Candidate Load Magazine Backwards ...

Lady friend's son who was in a Doctorate program and a near world class bicyclist tried to load rounds into a USGI 30 round magazine ... backwards. I saw this with my own two eyes. Like 5 feet from him.

When shown the correct way his answer was that the magazine was confusing to him. When shown the top of the follower, he did not understand. When shown the shape of the magazine body, still no go.

When instructed properly he did manage to load the mags correctly. Then he had problems inserting the mags into the Carbine. They kept falling out. Had to be shown how to seat the things.

All true. My feeble point is that extra caution was spent instructing him in the safe operation of the M1 Carbine. He had never shot one before. Very smart young man. Very dump (edit; dumb) mechanically.

Was it possible he just did not know? Or was it a case of where he was very smart in some things but very dumb in other things? Could talk rings around us about Solid State Physics. No sense with guns.

Last edited by HB of CJ; 03-19-2016 at 12:15 PM. Reason: w/w
Old 03-19-2016, 01:04 PM

Visualizing mechanical things is not a given skill. Hard for some, easy for others, most trainable.

Like some learn by seeing it done, others by hearing how, sadly many as stupid as they want to be and never learn.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:51 PM

Fairly recently I saw... not heard of but actually saw a young female officer put a shotgun round in backwards into a pump shotgun. She then jacked it into the shotgun with her full strength when it at first didn't want to go in. Took us 2 hours to get the round out. I still cant figure out how she did it. And she was Academy trained! :-) Sweet young officer.. but I'll never hand her a shotgun for the rest of my life.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB of CJ View Post
Lady friend's son who was in a Doctorate program and a near world class bicyclist tried to load rounds into a USGI 30 round magazine ... backwards. I saw this with my own two eyes. Like 5 feet from him.

When shown the correct way his answer was that the magazine was confusing to him. When shown the top of the follower, he did not understand. When shown the shape of the magazine body, still no go.

When instructed properly he did manage to load the mags correctly. Then he had problems inserting the mags into the Carbine. They kept falling out. Had to be shown how to seat the things.

All true. My feeble point is that extra caution was spent instructing him in the safe operation of the M1 Carbine. He had never shot one before. Very smart young man. Very dump (edit; dumb) mechanically.

Was it possible he just did not know? Or was it a case of where he was very smart in some things but very dumb in other things? Could talk rings around us about Solid State Physics. No sense with guns.
Folks being taught about gun operation and safety are in decline, in my opinion. Programs such as Appleseed Project, Boy Scouts, etc... are very important. I also explain the terms "clip" and "magazine". They are two different items. It irritates me to hear the term "clip" used incorrectly. The anti-gun media will use that term for every weapon's loading system. .
Old 03-19-2016, 09:51 PM

Shop is no longer even offered in most schools. They don't know the difference between a Phillips screwdriver and a standem one.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTurn View Post
Shop is no longer even offered in most schools. They don't know the difference between a Phillips screwdriver and a standem one.
Whats a standem screwdriver?