Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2016, 11:14 PM

Maybe typo for JIS (Japanese International Standard/standem)? It's flat end makes for more secure seating in the screw's head than a pointed Phillips

Old 03-20-2016, 08:30 AM

Thanks, Steve. Just read through and bookmarked your stickys...a lot of really good information for us new carbine owners.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:10 PM

So.. If there's no dumb question.. Let me ask one...

Let me tell you first something about myself.. I've been a hunter for 28 years... Only guns I ever used to hunt are shotguns... SO, rifles are new to me... My first order for a rifle, EVER, I sent it to the CMP... Still waiting for the Garand I ordered...

Anyway, my dumb question is:

What's the muzzle throat reading and the throat reading? I see the CMP assign a number to each 1+, 2+ and so on... What's good? Lower or higher? I saw a posting of a Garand with a MW=2, TE=5... That's good? I don't even know what's MW and TE...

Sorry! I'm just new to the rifle things... At least I know that the pointy side of the bullet goes forward, and the wood side of the rifle goes on your shoulder...
Old 03-20-2016, 02:17 PM

Higher is worse. To me it's more important on garands than carbines. .30 carbine causes a lot less wear that 30-06. You can shoot a lot of .30 carbine and not generate a lot of wear.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
Whats a standem screwdriver?
My son has some standem screwdrivers. You standem in the rack and never use them except for occasional prying or chiseling.

I tried to teach him about carpentry, mechanics, plumbing, electrical, etc. but he had no interest... still doesn't. He's 32 now and doesn't know his a-s-s from a hole in the ground when it comes to any manual skills. He supposedly "manages" the family's rental properties but in reality all he can do is call someone to come out to do repairs. How about paying a plumber over $100 to come out on a weekend night to plunge a toilet? A five minute job and he already had a plunger. He can sure tell you all about Fantasy Football, video games, latest electronics and movies though.

Ever watch the average young guy try to drive a nail or drive a screw? They haven't the slightest clue. If you can't do it with or don't have a power tool the job is impossible. I came from the "old school" and still prefer hand tools. I still have all of my grandfathers hand tools in his tool chest sitting in my living room. And yes, I still use many of them.

Today's "carpenter" has a hammer, tape measure, circular saw, Sawsall, power drill/screwdriver (no drill bits) and a flat screwdriver (to be used as a chisel). Many don't have a level. And God forbid, don't ask if they have a plumb bob, chisel set, plane, nail set or crosscut and rip saw. I've heard many refer to themselves as "Wood Butchers".
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 03-20-2016, 02:53 PM

Throat being just in front of the case mouth and muzzle wear being the other end of the tube.

Throat wear is an advancement of the origin of the rifling forward and muzzle wear being the receeding of the rifling back into the front of the tube.

Thus its throat erosion and muzzle wear.

0 being no wear and 1 or >1 being more and more erosion or wear.

Last edited by .Steve.; 03-20-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:50 PM

I searched around a bit and could not find a definitive answer.

I am one of the lucky new Carbine owners, first one for me.

Do you need to or would it be a good idea to replace all of the springs during the initial tear down and cleaning?

For all of my previous Garands I always ordered the Orion spring kit and have had perfect results. Is this necessary for the Carbine? They have a Spare Parts Rebuild Kit that seems to have everything one would need and then a few extras.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahelwig View Post
I searched around a bit and could not find a definitive answer.

I am one of the lucky new Carbine owners, first one for me.

Do you need to or would it be a good idea to replace all of the springs during the initial tear down and cleaning?

For all of my previous Garands I always ordered the Orion spring kit and have had perfect results. Is this necessary for the Carbine? They have a Spare Parts Rebuild Kit that seems to have everything one would need and then a few extras.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
Not necessarily. I wouldn't replace any of them without evidence they are bad. I haven't had to replace many springs on my collection that I shoot regularly. The most likely spring is the main recoil spring, which you can measure - it should be around 10 - 10.25". Have replaced a couple of those. Had 1 bad hammer spring and 1 bad trigger spring, but outside of that they have all been fine. Heck, if you received one of those fresh SA/SHM rifles they will be new anyways

oh, and congrats on your first carbine. I find them to be more addicting than Garands!
Old 03-20-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSnlB28 View Post
Not necessarily. I wouldn't replace any of them without evidence they are bad. I haven't had to replace many springs on my collection that I shoot regularly. The most likely spring is the main recoil spring, which you can measure - it should be around 10 - 10.25". Have replaced a couple of those. Had 1 bad hammer spring and 1 bad trigger spring, but outside of that they have all been fine. Heck, if you received one of those fresh SA/SHM rifles they will be new anyways

oh, and congrats on your first carbine. I find them to be more addicting than Garands!
Thank you for the quick reply! I took it down to the big parts a little earlier after I posted and it all looks VERY clean, not much work to do. It is actually the cleanest rifle I've received from the CMP. Its an Inland 503,xxx with an Inland Mfg Div of GM 6-43 barrel, stamped SA/SPG . Pretty excited to get it in running order and learn more about the carbines. Now I just have to wait for mags and ammo.

Thanks, I feel bad for those still waiting for the news. I had just figured I missed the boat and then out of nowhere I get a text from FedEx about the pending delivery. Guess I should buy a lottery ticket this week as well.

Last edited by aahelwig; 03-20-2016 at 08:55 PM. Reason: addition..
Old 03-21-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB of CJ View Post
Lady friend's son who was in a Doctorate program and a near world class bicyclist tried to load rounds into a USGI 30 round magazine ... backwards. I saw this with my own two eyes. Like 5 feet from him.

When shown the correct way his answer was that the magazine was confusing to him. When shown the top of the follower, he did not understand. When shown the shape of the magazine body, still no go.

When instructed properly he did manage to load the mags correctly. Then he had problems inserting the mags into the Carbine. They kept falling out. Had to be shown how to seat the things.

All true. My feeble point is that extra caution was spent instructing him in the safe operation of the M1 Carbine. He had never shot one before. Very smart young man. Very dump (edit; dumb) mechanically.

Was it possible he just did not know? Or was it a case of where he was very smart in some things but very dumb in other things? Could talk rings around us about Solid State Physics. No sense with guns.
I grew up living with my father in Illinois. One summer, I went to visit with my mother and stepfather in South Carolina. They had a nuclear engineer that lived next door. One day he knocked on the door and my stepfather disappeared for about 5 minutes. I looked over by the house next door and saw my stepfather, who is kind of tall, and he was reaching up for the light next to the door.

When he came back, I asked why the neighbor didn't just use a ladder or a chair. He said he didn't call him over because he was taller, he called him over because he couldn't figure out how to change the bulb. Apparently he couldn't figure out how to remove the outer cover. It was the type that just unscrews.