Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2016, 10:31 AM

Have a new hunter on our lease. Took him to the range after a year of hunting. He said he couldnt see the bullet holes on his paper through his scope. He has a 3X9 Leupold. I said let me see. I found his scope on 4X. I told him to turn up the power. His reply w as I didnt know you could do that ! Hunted all year like that. Scary.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieEcho View Post
Why do they do that?
Trying to shoot themselves? After all, put the ammo in facing forward, it goes forward. Put it in backwards, it goes backwards... no?
Old 04-07-2016, 03:05 PM

I would suggest reading through both the Help and Accuracy stickies at the top of the page just to see what you might not be aware of.

Questions are always OK. Sometimes the repetition of divergent answers gets confusing.

For the very welcome new guys, understanding the topics you have questions about helps frame your questions so a ready answer can be furnished or explained better.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:59 AM

First thing I check on an M1 Carbine is headspace with my gages- critical to have the correct headspace so the bolt closes fully. I disassemble, clean, annotate parts on a data sheet, lubricate and reassemble.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:32 PM

Try to put a round into an AR mag backwards.

Had a soldier ask for new mag, hers was "defective" - if you put the round in backwards, it pops out.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

I saw a picture from a front page of a Texas newspaper that showed a police officer responding to an armed robbery at a local bank. The police officer had a magazine jammed backwards into the receiver of an AR-15. It happened to be a woman police officer, but I bet that picture from the front page of the paper was put up on the bulletin board at that police department and the officer was teased about it to no end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout706 View Post
Try to put a round into an AR mag backwards.

Had a soldier ask for new mag, hers was "defective" - if you put the round in backwards, it pops out.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:56 PM

Perfect sense. If you load the rounds backwards, then putting the magazine in backwards fixes the problem. You just have to hold it up in the well. Its like a forward pistol grip.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:19 PM

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
I saw a picture from a front page of a Texas newspaper that showed a police officer responding to an armed robbery at a local bank. The police officer had a magazine jammed backwards into the receiver of an AR-15. It happened to be a woman police officer, but I bet that picture from the front page of the paper was put up on the bulletin board at that police department and the officer was teased about it to no end.
I've seen the same picture. And rightfully so. She should be teased.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Jason 714 View Post
I've seen the same picture. And rightfully so. She should be teased.
In my trade, the best teaching tool is sarcasm and ridicule!
But we do take safety seriously.

This is a good thread and well intended.

I found this forum recently because of my desire to own a WW2 period rifle. I'm sure many other are here, reading threads, due to the same. How many of them know how to safely handle and operate a firearm? I've spent enough time on public ranges to know the answer to that could be pretty dismal. It's always good to see experienced gun owners encouraging new comers to seek training and education on firearms. Safety is a shared responsibility
Old 04-08-2016, 09:22 PM

Hi Karl,

Welcome. In all seriousness, the Help and Accuracy Stickies up top the forum page have a wealth of practical information. I encourage new folks to read them just for the ideas to review later if the topic is needed. Or as an alert to the unknown issues of carbine use.

Some jokes and wise cracks creep in, but we try to be serious about education. And especially safety.

I put up this thread in hopes of encouraging questions for just the reasons you mention. I am hoping they get answered appropriately.

Steve