Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2016, 10:37 AM

Default Magazines: Shooter Mags Inexpensive Quality Without Supposed Collector Ripoffs

USGI 15 round magazines usually work. They are expensive. 30 round magazines are a krap shoot in many instances both as to quality and as to price or relative worth. As in most of them aren't worth the cost.

Much as I dislike most commercial magazines, I have found these two magazines to be serviceable. They have lasted through considerable shooting without deformity or wearing off the locking nubs.

AIM 30 round "UU" coded:

The nubs are still relatively undamaged and appear properly heat treated although that is a swag.

Coded: UU

The other is the ProMag 15:

Likewise, its nubs remain relatively undamaged after use.

Both are commercial magazines and inexpensive. I like USGI stuff, but these two have worked in several carbines without fail and these are two of my much used range mags. Much is relative since I keep trying new things.

These two may make finding range mags easier for new carbines.

The 15 round "UU" mags were horrid as the nubs wore off in a few insertions as they were absolutely not heat treated for hardness at those spots.

Your experiences may be different and good luck.

Last edited by .Steve.; 04-18-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the write-up, Steve! I have always been told to stay away from Commercials like the plague, so I'm glad to see there's a lower-cost, fairly reliable alternative to USGI.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:32 PM

"Amateur Mag" also known as Promag are the scourge of the mag world.

Everything they make is poor IMO.

'Pro'mag...... that makes me laugh.

The Korean ones are serviceable. They are 100% commercial made for US consumers and have nothing to do with military, surplus, NSN. The package is pure gimmick.

Korean ones do work and are just OK.

Last edited by xm15e2s; 04-18-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:18 AM

Since it works, should I throw it away anyhow?

I have tried several other commercial mags over the years that were pure soft tinnish junk that simply did not work.

This 15 ProMag I kept since it worked. I would never suggest buying fifty of them, but lacking others to pick from, its a choice a couple might fill. I have only used it in carbines with a good catch and reasonable fit of large parts.

The UU 30 is clearly identified as a commercial magazine in my post notwithstanding the protective packaging printing.

Feel free to identify magazines that work and seem to hold up with use.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:05 AM

I tried a couple of the Korean UU ones a couple months ago, and they performed Perfect. Ordered 8 more, and took them to the range to test last week. Shot FMJ, Soft points, and eound nose, and not a single glitch from any of the ammo or magazines.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:16 AM

Being stuck in California I've been stuck with 10rd magazines, so commercial is the only viable option. So far I have used 4 10rd carbine Promags and they have held up fine so far.

I've used promag for other firearms and they usually aren't as well made as OEM, but they usually function.

It is what it is.

-JNiem