Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazaroo View Post
Your wrong. If one was to receive a service grade 1943 Colt 100% accurate except the slide the owner would be an idiot to not try and find the proper slide.
Lets not get uppity about all this...…...besides it's "You're wrong."
"If it is 100% accurate...………."
"If it's a rebuild marked...…."
Those are two different things...………… But watching the 1911 saga unfold and remembering the interest in M1 Garand rebuilds gain in the last several yrs, I'd be VERY suspicious of a "too correct" anything, M1, M1911.

Buy the gun, not the story.
And if a gun has been corrected, IMHO, I won't pay up for it.
So the owner might be an "idiot" not to correct it, but he wont be the first to end up being paid less for it.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:22 AM

I have been re-matching Garands for 20+ years. The value doubles from a mixmaster. I would think the same will happen with the 45s. To each his own opinion but I myself prefer a Standard Poodle over a Labradodle mutt.

Having said that, I will concede this:

Within my permanent collection of just about one of everything that IS correct or collector (All from CMP) my favorite M1 is a WWII Winchester rebuilt at Springfield in the SA52 program and marked as such, even with a JLG stock. Untouchable.

And so there; I have countered my own arguement. Take and hold a deep breath and let you pulse rate go down.

Last edited by Big_Red; 04-20-2019 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 04-18-2019, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrmann View Post
I have been re-matching Garands for 20+ years. The value doubles from a mixmaster. I would think the same will happen with the 45s. To each his own opinion but I myself prefer a Standard Poodle over a Labradodle mutt.
If you are correcting receiver etched rebuilds you are not doubling the value. They are probably worth more as is. Same with a stamped rebuild 1911
Old 04-18-2019, 05:59 AM

Just because someone is wrong, in your opinion, doesn't mean they are an idiot. Be nice.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:16 AM

I’m neither wrong nor an idiot. I am in fact absolutely correct. You turning something in to what it’s not and presumably attempting to pass it off later to someone else for a price based on what you attempted to turn it. While it does say something about your character it has nothing to do with the validity of anyone else’s opinion. Swapping parts on a rebuild marked pistol, or an M-1 for that matter, does absolutely nothing to increase the value and makes no sense at all as you’ve attempted to create something that doesn’t exist. I do like the theories that if you do it now in 10 years no one can tell or the certificate only mentions the Manufacturer of the frame so how can anyone tell because they are clearly indicative of the character of the individuals who espouse them.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:34 AM

In all seriousness, maybe we need another classification than "Collector/Correct/Mixmaster."

How about "Proper"?
Old 04-18-2019, 07:48 AM

CMP Garand Correcting Disease (CGCD) is infecting the 1911 pool now!
Old 04-18-2019, 07:52 AM

Just keep all the rebuild parts in the bottom of the case while it is wearing the corrected parts. Then you have the best of both worlds.-----simple.
Tom
Old 04-18-2019, 12:37 PM

I'm not emotional about what other people do with their stuff. The original poster asked for opinions and I gave mine simple as that. If you don't like contrary opinions don't read them and don't project your emotional deficiencies or proclivities onto others. It is a very collector vs accumulator vs shooter driven issue I just happen to collect.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:08 PM

I have a preference for the so called, "VietNam Rebuilds. *VNR's" I know, I know...They may have other names, other time frames, etc., Specifically, with my "collecting," I mean the etched receivers of the early to mid '60's. We OK with that? Recall how they were the step-child of the Garand family until Bruce Canfield wrote an excellent article about them. Suddenly they were recognized as a desirable rifle, as-is, as received. More than half of my Garands are VNR's, some still with oiled, waxy woven cloth protecting the sights, op rods, receivers. I have left them exactly as I SELECTED them when the GCA was at the CMP years ago. I know exactly where they came from because they were in large cardboard totes, mixed makers, mixed parts [but generally very nice condition], Army inventory lists attached.
I was also lucky enough to also be able to secure a significant quantity of NOS parts from Denmark. Not just NOS Post-War. +/-25% was still in WWII packaging, dated. So, for me, I could have easily reconstructed 90% of my rifles to be "Correct!"...[the word that is loved by some and hated by others]. Maybe the 3-4-5 digit rifles wouldn't be revived, but no problem with most of the others [the Gap Letter IHC excepted].
I am happy with everything I have and if I decide to dispose of any, you can be assured that the VNR's are as removed from Army>CMP shipments.
Just my thoughts and opinion.
*Yes, Garand text in the M1911A1 thread. Relax.

Last edited by BobJ50; 04-18-2019 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Nerve Hospital