Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2019, 10:15 PM

Old news and a long time ago, flew all over ll Corp for a year (1268 hours) and never had a dirty fuel problem.Army bases and Air Force bases, some body did a good job of checking the JP 4.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:50 AM

That maybe old news but it certainly is good news lucky!
Old 01-24-2019, 11:51 AM

Good read and pics here.

https://worldwarwings.com/11-awesome...5oN24e4uojYuXo

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 01-24-2019, 01:11 PM

Wonder why Dick Bong didn't get credit in that first shot? Re. #2...I had a "come to Jesus" tail chewing when I had for the second time been medically grounded for damage suffered on the motorcycle track. The PG version is that I was to decide whether I wanted to be a motorcycle racer or a helicopter pilot. Decision made on the spot of course and I don't regret it. In point of fact I never had a mishap in the air but the two wheelers were rough on me.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpa72 View Post
Virtually all jet aircraft use a derivative of diesel/kerosene as fuel. That fuel is JP-4 and some, like Navy aircraft use JP-5 and then later most USAF aircraft began to use JP-8 for its flammability issues in the event of a crash. So, yes, the fuels are the same, more or less.

The C-130 oth, can use just about any fuel out there - at least the older versions that I flew. We used to joke that, if a tanker truck showed up with it, we could burn nail polish remover. The Herc can burn Av gas too.
Some of the military Diesel engines were like that. If it would burn, it would run it. They had to have very tough seals in them as things like Acetone could eat some of them up in very short order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampComLegacy View Post
4 engines. Had a great shot right before that, but had a buddy shoot. Definitely wasn't a Spartan; don't know that one, but didn't resemble C-123.

Another friend saw same plane northern NC on maneuvers Thursday afternoon, but doesn't know planes.......
Could it be one of the Airbus knockoffs of the C-130? Otherwise known as an Airbus A400M. They are 4 engine and have multi blade props ( more than 4 ). As are some C-130s. Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUyfFiF-JTU

Last edited by Big_Red; 01-25-2019 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Merge again
Old 01-24-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Don View Post
Some of the military Diesel engines were like that. If it would burn, it would run it. They had to have very tough seals in them as things like Acetone could eat some of them up in very short order.

We had White multi-fuel diesel trucks. Most 53 vintage? 2 1/2 tons. On the dash it had a list of fuels that could be used. Diesel being the preferred. It would burn anything except av gas. No avgas.

My buddy Mike spent four years in Marine Air as a jet engine mechanic (6? months in VN at Chu Lai). He told me that there were still a few Jets that burned AvGas. Most of his work was on J79s in Phantoms.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:46 PM

DaveHH,
I'll go out on a limb here and say that the only jet engines that burn avgas are those that are retrofitted to aircraft originally equipped with avgas burning radical engines such as the C-123K, Kc-97(can't remember the suffix). There was also a C-119 fitted with jet engines (maybe a single? I can't really don't
remember). The C-123K had two jet pods that were used for takeoff and landings and in the event of an engine failure. Once airborne they were shut down because of excessive fuel consumption and the fact that the avgas was hard on the turbine blades. I don't know of any all-jet aircraft that used avgas.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:56 PM

The B-36D had 2 jets added to each wingtip but I don't know if they ran on avgas or had JP4 tanks added on the plane as well.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpa72 View Post
There was also a C-119 fitted with jet engines (maybe a single? I can't really don't remember). The C-123K had two jet pods that were used for takeoff and landings and in the event of an engine failure. Once airborne they were shut down because of excessive fuel consumption and the fact that the avgas was hard on the turbine blades.
I've seen the AC-119K pods up close and I'd be very surprised if they weren't interchangeable with the C-123K. One per wing, outboard of the recip.

I'm what you'd call a legend in my own mind.

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .
Old 01-25-2019, 05:56 AM

C-119 with jet engine.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA