Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2022, 11:33 PM

Default M1 carbine sling question

Hi everyone, Iím planning to attend The Western Games coming up in Arizona. My plan is to shoot my M1 Garand in the Garand match; 1903a3 in the Springfield match, and 1917 in the vintage match and 15/22 in the rimfire match. I recently purchased an M1 carbine for the carbine March and after months of frustration; I think I finally solved my problemÖ.. hopefully.

I did have a question regarding the m1 carbine match. Are you required to use a sling in that particular match? I canít seem to get the hasty sling right and actually think Iím more accurate without it. But of course Iíll be using my sling for the other rifles. Thanks again for your response.

Chris

Last edited by Chrisj831; 01-21-2022 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:19 AM

A sling is required to be on the rifle but you're not required to use it.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2022, 09:20 AM

Rule 4.3.2 says slings are not required and can be removed in as issued military rifle matches. It also says a 1907 sling can be used on the carbine in the as issued rifle military match but not in the M1 Carbine match.

We will be using our loose stocked carbine with no sling. My daughter doesnít like the carbine sling and can usually keep most the rounds in the black without it. We just leave it on the rifle.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:02 PM

I've always thought slings had to be on the rifle.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2022, 11:15 PM

That is a high power rifle rule in the other rule book at 4.4.6. If you are going to shoot a carbine in the high power matches then you need to leave it on in offhand.

The previous rule I mentioned is in the games rulebook.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bml View Post
Rule 4.3.2 says slings are not required and can be removed in as issued military rifle matches. It also says a 1907 sling can be used on the carbine in the as issued rifle military match but not in the M1 Carbine match.

We will be using our loose stocked carbine with no sling. My daughter doesnít like the carbine sling and can usually keep most the rounds in the black without it. We just leave it on the rifle.
Awesome; thanks for looking it up for me. If I do shoot this match; it will be my first time using the M1 carbine. Hoping to get some more time behind it to make sure I got all the bugs out. Thanks again.