X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • welp45
    • May 2011

Type 1 National match ???

Looking for a little info one this rifle. I sent the serial number to cmp and received confirmation that it was sent out via the DCM from the raritan arsenal as a national match garand.

Serial number 6,095,648
    Barrel NM w/star. No other "NM's" on rifle. Barrel SA F6535448 5 56 A2278,
    Op rod 6535382 SA... Trigger Group 6528290-SA..... Bolt 6528287-SA over Y 0 2
    Hammer SA D5546008..... Safety S A 1 1...... Receiver Z 15 C over F 6528291....
    No glass bedding. No other markings of NM on rifle. circled P on pistol grip. cartouch on left side of buttstock forward part of stock....

Metal finish is VG/excellent.
    Wood has some handling marks and is VG/excellent.
    Rifle does not appear to have been shot much, little wear on hammer, op rod etc.....

A friend of mine checked throat and muzzle wear with cmp gauges and claims both are sub 1. I want to check those myself (seems hard to believe) compared to others I've looked at in comparision.

It seems to be a complete original type 1 national match.

Is this the real mccoy? Did a blind squirrel find a nut? I've had the rifle for about a year, have never shot it, but have been doing some research on it. Its been fun. I found this forum and would imagine you guys are the authority on the subject. It's interesting hearing peoples thoughts.
    Last edited by welp45; 05-17-2011, 02:19 PM.
  • Magnum
    • Oct 2009

If the letter from the CMP states its a National Match, then it is. Whether it is still in original configuration or not will be what can be debateable. Eitherway, I'm sure you got a good deal on it. Nice find.

Comment

• Calif-Steve
      • Nov 2009

The "xx" isn't necessary. If you have a CMP letter then it is what it is. Looks like someone stripped off all of the NM parts. I don't know why, but it is done. This really hurts the value, by the way.

Comment

• m1bondo
        • Oct 2009

Type 1 NM & "NM" Markings

As originally produced a Type 1 NM would be marked "NM" ONLY on the barrel, ALL other parts were identical to what would be found in standard M1s of that period. Sounds like you have a nice original to me.

Best Regards,

John

Comment

• J.R.2009
          • Oct 2009

Check out the unfired type 1 NM at Duff's site. It's under" Modern Long arms" , M1 Garands". It belongs to a good friend of mine.

http://www.scott-duff.com/
          J.R.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index [email protected]
          I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
          http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
          Gun Owners of SC
          GCA

Comment

• Rick Cummelin
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by m1bondo View Post
            As originally produced a Type 1 NM would be marked "NM" ONLY on the barrel, ALL other parts were identical to what would be found in standard M1s of that period. Sounds like you have a nice original to me.

Best Regards,

John
            Agree. Sounds like the blind squirrel found a VERY nice nut!

Comment

• JimF
              • Oct 2009

Sounds like you scored . . . .big time . . . .

Suggest you run it by Bob Seijas over at garanditis.com for his opinion.

Maybe even join the GCA! Best $25 you'll ever spend!

What's the heat lot code on the bolt? I'm betting it's either "Y 01" or "Y 02".

Ironically, the earlier Type 1's are more costly (if unmolested) than the later Type 2's, but the inherent accuracy of the 2's is usually much better, thanks to glass bedding and half-minute sights.

Part (or most) of the Type 1's extra cost is due to the fact that most Type 1's were "upgraded" to Type 2s.

Shoot me a PM if you want more info. --Jim
              Last edited by JimF; 05-17-2011, 10:45 AM.
              --Jim

Comment

• five 0
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by m1bondo View Post

Best Regards,

John
                Type 1 NM barrels were marked with a star to indicate the barrel was tested with a 10 shot group instead of a 5 shot group which was the previous standard.

Comment

• welp45
                  • May 2011

Type 1 national match

I was told that the star signified a certain year. They only stamped the star two years I was told. Again, its been real interested in researching this. Originally I was told that someone probably put a NM barrel on a regular garand. I'm glad I started to research the rifle. I have another service grade SA garand. Love shooting that thing. I don't think I'll shoot this one. I guess the question now is if it is all original? It appears to be.

Comment

• five 0
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by welp45 View Post
                    I was told that the star signified a certain year. They only stamped the star two years I was told. Again, its been real interested in researching this. Originally I was told that someone probably put a NM barrel on a regular garand. I'm glad I started to research the rifle. I have another service grade SA garand. Love shooting that thing. I don't think I'll shoot this one. I guess the question now is if it is all original? It appears to be.
                    You need to find a copy of GCA Vol 17 No4 page 3 Type 2 National Match by Bob Sejias and GCA Vol 17 No1 page 4 Highest Serial Number M1 Located by Scott Duff. Those two articles will answer most of your questions. Or contact Mr. Duff of Mr. Seijias for their opinions as to the originality of your type 1 NM.

Comment

• Rolling Thunder
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by welp45 View Post
                      This is what you need:

http://www.thegca.org/pdfs/Evolution..._Rifles_SA.pdf

http://theGCA.org

You also need to be specific about when your rifle was sold and 60956xx doesn't cut it. When did CMP say it was sold? It makes a big difference. There are other resources for these NM rifles but without a full serial number, they are useless.

Comment

• welp45
                        • May 2011

Serial numbers

Serial numbers added to original posting.

Comment

• welp45
                          • May 2011

DATE of sale

Cmp sent a copy of the bill of sale and a letter. In the letter they said they could not confirm date of sale. In looking at the copy of the bill of sale I can see why. The person who filled out the hand written sales slip wrote 12/11/8
                          I assume that was meant to be 58 for 1958. The letter went on to say the gun was sent out from the raritan arsenal as a National Match. They closed Raritan arsenal in 1963. Judging by the serial number it could not be 1948 SO I would assume it is 1958. The guy I bought it from said his dad bought it for him as a graduation present. CMP whited out the original buyers name and address after they copied the receipt.
                          Last edited by welp45; 05-17-2011, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Calif-Steve
                            • Nov 2009

This indeed sounds very much like a true Type 1 NM Garand. Sorry about my previous posting. 1958 shipment would certainly be a Type 1. This would be a true keeper.

Comment

Working...
                            X