Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisabc View Post
Hi folks, this month I received my RM1Special from CMP with SA serial number 1,118,NNN, putting the receiver in January 1943. It came with a new stock, with an OK finish, but I wanted to get it looking more "original," and had to decide between tung oil, raw linseed oil, boiled linseed oil, or something else. Because the Field Manuals I read dated 1943, 1947 and 1965 instructed to use raw linseed oil, that's what I chose.

Before applying it I applied 5 thin coats of Danish Oil Finish Medium Walnut over several days, let it dry and then used Slazenger Natural Linseed Oil, also sold as Cricket Bat Oil. I applied thin coats using my fingers only, rubbing it in a section at a time and rubbing vigorously enough to generate some warmth between my fingers and the wood. I did not pour the oil on the wood or otherwise allow it to accumulate. I did this once in the morning, and then ~10 hours later in the evening, for 7 days. After applying, I let each coat dry for 45 minutes and then wiped dry with a soft cotton cloth. It never felt sticky.

I now plan on allowing it to rest for a few weeks and apply another thin coat, and do this until I'm completely satisfied.

You can see a picture of the results using the link below.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

Randy
That looks beautiful.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tags
linseed oil, stock oil