Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2018, 07:38 PM

Default Shooting a “Modified” or Not As Issued Rifle in Vintage Sniper?

I have two drill rifles I am working to bring back. The better looking of the two will be used to build a 1903A4 clone. I will choose once I get both receivers reblued or parkerized.

The second receiver I really don’t know what I want to do with. I am currently thinking it might be fun to build a “RestoMod” or Restore and Modernize build by buying a reproduction C stock but then rebuild with a 7.62 NATO Centerion barrel, Timiny Trigger, Aluminum or glass bed the action and barrel chamber, use a modern picatinny scope mound and perhaps if it doesn’t look too out of place add a bipod mount as well. For the scope, use a modern scope like a Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mildot or something similar.

Certanly, this would not be a Competion legal gun to shoot for standings. I am curious for those that do shoot if these modern “race gun” builds are allowed to shoot just for fun at local club events or possibly at regional events just for fun?

It might be just foolish thinking as I could just show up with say a Rem 700 PSS or something even more modern and save myself the hastle but then it wouldn’t look like a 1903A4 with a modern scope and mount with a whole lot of updates under the wood. Kind of like a 1974 Challanger with a modern suspension and Helcat engine but perhaps not quite that updated.

I can easily be convinced against the idea, and I know there are other rounds that could be better as a trick pony gun too. A 243 with 55gr bullets at 4000fps is a wind beating round as an example or perhaps going the other directoio. If a 300 Win Mag can be made to work?

As an aside, I never shared, I have some health challenges and there are days, sometimes a week solid I cant really do much as I have bouts of vertigo and my balance gets so bad I can’t do much but lay down and think. This was my mental exercise today after deciding I need to stop stewing about my M1 Carbine mistakes. My M1 Garand may be coming up soon and it’s the bucket list item I came here for in the first place.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:24 PM

Certainly a good match director at a local match would allow you to shoot. Every local club I've ever shot in has been mostly a "run what ya brung" affair where they lay out "this is a Garand match; we prefer Garands be brought, and only Garands compete for awards, but we won't turn most safe rifles away."

I can't speak for regional matches. In Garand matches they specifically have an Unlimited category, for all those folks that still want to shoot their fully modified NM M1 from yesteryear. I doubt at a regional match they'll make such a provision for a fully-tricked out 1903 based sniper in a vintage sniper match. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm a love of 1903s though, and there are all sorts of fun things you can do with them. I have one chambered in .308 that I occassionally shoot Palma matches with. I have one real slicked up and with lyman sights that I run as a match rifle in NRA highpower matches. I have a Marine clone sniper. A 1934 National Match rifle I like to shoot every year at Perry. Basically every highpower match I shoot, I can shoot a 1903.

That second receiver of yours could be put to any number of good uses.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:22 PM

I must admit that I don't understand the concept of a moderized classic rifle. I view such rifles as neither fish nor foul. I like both classic and modern rifles but I have no interest in combining them. For sure, you can't compete in a vintage sniper rifle match with a rifle as you suggested. You might be able to shoot but not compete. I honestly want to compete but that's just me. Supposedly, there is a possible modern sniper rifle category being investigated by the CMP but nothing will be firmed up for some time. If you want to shoot a sniper rifle with modern optics, you might find this proposed category right up your alley. Of course no one yet knows what the equipment rules might be.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:40 PM

Thanks, I guess it’s a case of having a spare receiver and no plan for it. I think just putting the receiver away is a better option as Ive got enough bad ideas to spend money on for now. Someday I may revisit and build a full on 1903a4 as it would be made today but not soon.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:40 PM

I honestly think you would be a lot happier in the long run if you build a truly modern sniper or precision rifle as opposed to a modernized classic rifle.. The 03 receiver and trigger simply do not compare to modern receivers and triggers. Things have progressed greatly in the last 115 years. If you have a spare 03 receiver, you might consider selling it outright and setting the cash aside for a future project.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:49 PM

A nice Springfield based sporter would be a good use of a spare receiver...