Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2018, 02:49 PM

Default 1" Sling For Rimfire?

I have a 10/22 LVT that I'm wanting to use for some rimfire matches at my local club.

That model comes with fixed 1" sling swivels and I already have a 1" sling from a hunting rifle that I sold and I actually like the looks of the rifle with that sling.

I could of course cut off the existing sling attachments and drill the studs to accept detachable sling swivels which will allow me to use a 1.25" CMP cotton sling.

My questions:

Will the wider sling make a noticeable difference in accuracy over the 1" sling?

Secondly my guess is that the stock 1" sling swivels by the way they're designed may not be durable enough to handle the pressure applied when slung up tightly during competition. Is this correct?

Any input regarding these two issues is greatly appreciated and in advance, Thanks!
Old 06-16-2018, 04:02 PM

I'm using the same rifle. I can't answer to the questions about the difference in sling widths, but I wanted to use a 1.25" wide cotton military sling with my 10/22 LVT for matches. I know the drill as far as slinging up tight with the military sling, so that is why I went that route. I also like a wider 1.25 inch sling as it feels more comfortable to me.

I took a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and cut the included sling swivels off. If you cut them in the middle, they will just fall off. They don't go all the way through the metal stock stud. Then get your set of drill bits out. Find the one that best approximates the hole the is drilled on either side of the stud. Again, it is not drilled all the way through. Get your handheld drill out and drill through the stud. Not much drilling is needed to get from one side to the other. It is just a little bit of metal. Touch it up with a round file if needed. I then hit it with some bluing touch up inside the hole. I bought a set of removable 1.25" sling swivels. I think the brand name is 'Grovtech US." They were around $10-12 for the pair. Probably got them at MidwayUSA or Brownell's. (They are a parkerized grey color.) Now I can mount a USGI web sling to the rifle. Everything looks stock, there are no major modifications and you can use the rifle with or without a sling.

That is how I did it. No real right or wrong. By the way, the LVT is a great rifle for matches. Mine has been every bit as accurate as I have needed.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:26 PM

Default Thanks Aub1957

By the way, the LVT is a great rifle for matches. Mine has been every bit as accurate as I have needed.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Aub1957, thank so much. Your description of the sling attachments was just as I suspected with the sling loops themselves being held into each side of the stud with basing spring tension as I would explain it.

I think I'm going to follow your lead and do the job as you described.

On your accuracy note above I could not agree more and actually fell into this rifle totally by accident or by destiny, as I wasn't even considering any CMP rimfire participation when I purchased it.

A few of us were toying with building a 10/22 with heavier barrel, better stock, etc., and I just happened to be looking at Ruger's site and saw these rifles that I had no idea Ruger even made.

For basically $100 over the cost of a basic carbine this rifle came with nice wood, heavier barrel, etc., right out of the box which seemed a no brainer to me.

Then when I looked into the CMP rimfire regs and saw the rifle weight requirements I was concerned that adding a scope would push me over the limit. As it turned out I had an older Leupold Vari-X II 2x7 without any mil spec turrets, etc., that was not being used and just laying in a drawer. As best as I can tell I'm just under the weight limit* so everything fell perfectly in place for me with this rifle. *I've not had the rifle officially weighed but have weighed it on an electronic fish weighing scale I used in the past for tournaments.

Again thank you for your insight and excellent tip and I wish you a terrific weekend.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:39 PM

Yes, I was concerned about making weight as it is close. I used Talley aluminum rings to save a little weight there. I have a Leupold rimfire scope that goes up to 9 power, I believe. The armorers tape it at 6 power during inspection. Anyway, I am just under weight. I was actually worried that I would have to drill some of the stock out under the buttplate.

Surprisingly, I have read a few posts from folks online that have been unhappy with their LVTs as far as accuracy. Has not been my experience.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:05 PM

Surprisingly, I have read a few posts from folks online that have been unhappy with their LVTs as far as accuracy. Has not been my experience.[/QUOTE]

Aub1957, the LVT may not be on the accuracy level of a Kidd or some super tricked 10/22 bull barrel, target stock, 24 power scoped bench rifle, but there is one thing I know for certain.

This rifle is much more accurate than I am so in my case, any misses are on the part of the Indian, not the arrow.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:53 AM

On my LVT I just unscrewed the studs and replaced them with new ones and Uncle Mike's quick release swivels. I do make weight with a cheap very light scope that works just fine for that purpose. I also put a T36 on it for ABRA matches we shoot informally at our club. I do put a Brimstone trigger in for that match at just over 2 pounds. For the CMP rimfire it is very easy to lighten the pull to still meet the 3 pound pull.

Mine is very accurate but I did have Joe Chacon bed and recrown it.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:17 PM

Thanks for your input. I don't mind the 1" sling but am just not certain whether the extra width will make any noticeable difference in accuracy and comfort.

Also the way the sling swivels attach to the stock factory posts I'm thinking they will simply pull out of the stud if very much pressure is applied.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:03 PM

I tried a leather one inch sling and hated it. I'm used to shooting with M1's and service rifle slings. As to pulling out I don't get trussed up as tight as I do with the high power rifles for that reason.