Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2018, 06:12 PM

Default Hello From South Carolina!

Making my first trip to the CMP store tomorrow. Really looking forward to making the trip with my father-in-law. Hopefully we’ll find some shooters.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2018, 05:31 PM

Default Welcome to the forum

You must tell us about your trip.

Those of us that make the trip frequently do not put as much value to the experience as someone making their first trip.

I remember my first trip to the South Store. While I was there I called the WWII Navy vet that got me started in this mess (Papa Joe). He is gone now but the memories of that trip and him will last a long time.

do share,
Rob
Old 06-28-2018, 05:33 PM

Welcome aboard. You will learn here.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:23 PM

Welcome aboard.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:18 PM

Default First Trip To CMP South Store

Hey Rob,

Yes sir, we had a great trip. We left Charleston, SC last Thursday morning and we arrived at the CMP South store about 11:00 a.m. that morning. I had been reading up on M1's as much as I could leading up to our journey and I had messaged back and forth with Tom to get an idea of how the inventories were looking. He was a great help to us and we appreciate his guidance. Anyway, it seems like once I entered the store, the little bit of M1 knowledge that I had in my mind was somehow swept away. Luckily between the CMP staff and some very knowledgable customers, I was able to pick out an awesome HRA CMP Special. The fine gentlemen at the counter broke it down for me and checked out the fit and finish. Another gentleman was standing there at the counter and he was a walking, talking M1 Garand textbook. He glanced at my serial number and told me that my rifle was made in April 1955 and that the HRA's were fantastic shooters. Bobby behind the counter nodded in agreement and I was hooked. My father-in-law latched on to a FG HRA in the first 15 minutes after walking into the store and never let it go. It was pretty funny because he told me several times during our trip that he was not buying a rifle. Man, did the M1 bug bite him! We then sailed over to the West store and I ran across a slick looking Service Grade WRA and I couldn't put it back on the rack. After that we were out of gas an in need of some rest. The nice ladies at the store loaned us a golf cart to tour the facility. What an awesome place! We were very impressed.

The next morning we hit the CMP South store again at opening. Lots of traffic that morning and talked to some interesting folks milling around. Unfortunately, we missed Tom. I thought I heard someone say bye to him and I later asked a CMP Armorer if that was him and he said it was. I hate I missed talking to him. Anyway, we picked up some more ammo and headed for the Talladega Range. We got there and after several lightning delays, we finally got to pull the trigger a few times before we got shut down again due to bad weather. The rifles shot really well. The guys at the range were fantastic, as was the staff at the West store.

I know that I've said a lot in this post, but all I can tell you is that my words fail to adequately describe how truly exciting and enjoyable our trip was. I recommend making the journey to anyone who is interested. We learned a lot and met some outstanding people. I hope to go back soon.

Forest
Old 06-30-2018, 09:39 AM

Default Thank you!

I appreciate your post Rob. I posted a probably too lengthy response above.

Thanks,
Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob30-06 View Post
You must tell us about your trip.

Those of us that make the trip frequently do not put as much value to the experience as someone making their first trip.

I remember my first trip to the South Store. While I was there I called the WWII Navy vet that got me started in this mess (Papa Joe). He is gone now but the memories of that trip and him will last a long time.

do share,
Rob

Last edited by forestm; 06-30-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:30 AM
Banned

Welcome to the forum! lots of great info here enjoy!
Old 06-30-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestm View Post
I appreciate your post Rob. I posted a probably too lengthy response above.

Thanks,
Forest
Well, it sounds like you had a very good first visit to the store. The range facility really is first rate. Shame you did not get to visit while Leon was still working there. He would have given you a first rate tour and it would have been a hoot.

Now you just need to look forward to your next trip

I have been to the store more times than I can count and always anticipate my next visit.

Rob