Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2018, 10:39 AM

The wood on this is fantastic. I picked up a 1903A3 Sporter his week myself and was originally planning to put mine back to G.I. form but mine like yours has the receiver sight and screw mount front sight plus one of the nicest triggers I have felt.

That is a great gun and glad you shared.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
I didn't make my message clear. The star gauge number on the NM is closer to the muzzle. I have seen photos of NRA Sporters presented to Match winners in the 1930's.
All appear to be standard NRA Sporters, none with checkering. I have learned to not say "never" or "always" when describing what was done at SA. Nicely customized 1903's are in a collectable class by themselves. If you could determine who did the custom stock work it might enhance the rifle's value. I have a couple of what Petrov described as depression era sporters that experts say were the work of Griffin & Howe but the G & H name does no appear on them. I have proud to have them in my collection.

Excellent! Thank you for the clarification! Griffin & Howe produced some amazing work over the decades.
I have to say that I feel fortunate and privileged to own this fine Springfield 1903 of mine, whatever its history may be. “Depression-era sporter” is a label I’d be proud to claim for it. Of course, trying to unravel the mystery of its history is an interesting pursuit all on its own. Thank you again for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New Jersey State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
NRA LE Firearms Instructor
Old 03-29-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post
The wood on this is fantastic. I picked up a 1903A3 Sporter his week myself and was originally planning to put mine back to G.I. form but mine like yours has the receiver sight and screw mount front sight plus one of the nicest triggers I have felt.

That is a great gun and glad you shared.

Thank you very much, Quarterbore! Do you have pics of your newest acquisition? It sounds like a winner!

Last edited by XTrooper; 03-30-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:00 AM

For those who may be interested, I have posted this sporter in the Classsified sub-forum.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:52 PM

Thanks for sharing this beautiful rifle XTrooper. It looks sort of along the lines of the ones that the armory built for President T. Roosevelt. The armory also built others later and they are really works of art. I just wonder if this one was also built by SA. The fit and finish is outstanding. Congrats on a real beauty and a classic.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk View Post
Thanks for sharing this beautiful rifle XTrooper. It looks sort of along the lines of the ones that the armory built for President T. Roosevelt. The armory also built others later and they are really works of art. I just wonder if this one was also built by SA. The fit and finish is outstanding. Congrats on a real beauty and a classic.
Thank you, bobk.