Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2018, 05:07 PM

Broom. Sounds as if you and I are in the same boat. I seriously considered a "modern" scope (I'll being using my M12 in NRA smallbore events) but getting a mount is/was an issue. I have NO intentions to D&T mine. I sat down and scratched out drawing of a mount (rail) that would slide onto the exiting rear block (secure it with a setscrew) and then attach to the existing rear sight mount (just like the Redfield rear sight does). The idea being: 1) install the rail W/0 modifying the rifle, 2) getting the mount (thus the scope) as low as possible and 3) keeping the rail long enough to use needed rings with the "modern" scopes

Well...... a friend offered to sell me his pristine Lyman (with the rings and wood box) .

Problem...for me...solved. Hope you find an "answer" for your situation. The M12 is a great rifle.....stock being another "issue' although I have modified mine for prone shooting.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:34 PM

I have a Lyman super Targetspot scope on my M-12. It's only a 12 power, but it does good at 50 yards. Sometimes on a cloudy day, I wish for more power at 100. Maybe Check on gunbroker, sometimes you can get a good deal on a scope there.

strangms
Old 07-04-2018, 09:11 AM

Hi Fellow posters,

Thanks for your continuing help with my latest quest! I'll have a few questions about brands & models soon!

As I said early on. I'm a old guy, almost everyone I knew that shot the old scopes & rifles are no longer available for any help.

Nothing against the younger guys & their choice of plastic rifles & mil dot scopes. I have a few!
As I recall the majority of the older guys shot better, without all the SUPER TACTICAL stuff I see at some match's!

I truly appreciate your guidence,
broom
Old 07-05-2018, 11:51 AM

The Hi-Lux is the way to go only if you want 8X magnification. The scope itself is very good, even better optically than the vintage Unertls (I have them too), because the technology of manufacturing, coatings, and glass quality is superior. Vintage scopes used a lamination process to join lenses that yellows and flakes with age. Any vintage scope in the best of condition isn't as good optically as new manufactured optics. The problems people have with the new Hi-Lux snipers center on the adjustment feel, and the mounting. They don't have "hard" clicks that are loud, a characteristic of vintage Unertls that everyone prefers. Despite the softer quiet clicks, the adjustments are repeatable and work just fine. The screws used on the Hi-Lux mounts should be replaced though with high quality screws and mounted to be perfectly centered on the scallops of steel blocks, not the aluminum blocks supplied with the scope. Look for 10X, 12X,15X Unertls with 1.5" objective, or a Lyman Super Target Spot. Treat yourself and enjoy your shooting.
Distinguished Rifleman #2198
NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
NRA Patron Life member
PCGC Junior Team coach
CMP GSM Master Inst.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi Rick H.

( You left a big hole in your post ) Your RIGHT! Honestly I don't know how to proceed at this time!

I thinking a limited application Unertl type scope for $600+ on a stock H&R M-12 might be a bad investment for a older guy like me. The family will have a problem selling items like that off, when it's my time to pass. Not much interest there! :<(

--BUT-- that style rifle, just seems to call out for a long old style scope. The iron sighted rifle shoots well at any distance from 25 feet to 100 yards. It's a FUN gun!
My days as a serious competitor is long gone.
The wilder side of the brain thinks GO for IT! YOU worked hard all you life!
The thoughtful side thinks, the rifle is just fine as it is! Don't make more problems for the family.!
I'll just think on it some more.

Thank you & the people that PMed me with your thoughts,
broom
No Unertl scope is a bad investment as long as it is in good shape. The more difficult to sell Unertls are the lower powered ones and the more expensive ones are higher powered especially anything over 20X. If you keep your eyes peeled you WILL find one that suits your needs, you just have to decide on bell diameter and power. There were many different styles of Unertls made during the course of production. There were also several different reticle styles offered by Unertl as well as aftermarket companies that specialized in changing them. There still are a very small number of places that will repair Unertl scopes, but price follows what you want done. I recently called most of the places that repair Unertls looking for some information on repairing a scope and prices seemed to start at $200.00 and up depending on what was needed. There is a gentleman that will replace Unertl reticles for a very reasonable price and has very fast turnaround time. I had him do one of mine and it turned out great. The downside to having any Unertl scope repaired or overhauled by the big players is the waiting time to have work done. You can easily expect 6 months to one year. It's just the way it is today.

Bottom line is this, I can't speak to the Hi-Lux Unertl style scope. I don't own one and doubt I ever will. I have 7 or 8 Unertls of various styles and they suit me fine for what I do. I also own 2 external adjustment Lymans and they are just as good as Unertls. Down the road a Unertl scope will literally sell itself if it is in good condition and not surprisingly prices are always going up on them, never down. So chose wisely and research what you really want. If you are at all like me at this stage of my life I only want the best. After I am gone someone else will make a ton of money on my shooting gear.

Rick H.

P.M. me if you have any questions I can help you with.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:42 PM

Hi Motorcop,,

Thanks for the message! I'm still learning about the old scopes.

As soon as I can frame some questions I'll PM you!

Enjoy,
broom
Old 07-05-2018, 07:46 PM

Hi Greg F.

I see your in South Carolina! I'm in Augusta GA.
I'll PM you soon.

Thanks for the reply,
broom
Old 07-08-2018, 02:00 PM

I agree with ESWL. The scopes mentioned will work and work well for you. I have seen some Lyman scopes with beginning lens separation evidenced by colors on the edge of the
objective lens. This will look like oil poured on water. It may or may not have a noticeable image problem when aiming through it. Your will pay a premium for the Unertl name.

The Balvar 24 has a unique windage and elevation adjustment system. I have owned a couple in which the lubricant had dried in the adjustment rings. I never found a way to free them up so they would turn as designed. At one time the B & L scopes had a lifetime warranty but they are long out of production and lenses are no longer available.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
I agree with ESWL. The scopes mentioned will work and work well for you. I have seen some Lyman scopes with beginning lens separation evidenced by colors on the edge of the
objective lens. This will look like oil poured on water. It may or may not have a noticeable image problem when aiming through it. Your will pay a premium for the Unertl name.

The Balvar 24 has a unique windage and elevation adjustment system. I have owned a couple in which the lubricant had dried in the adjustment rings. I never found a way to free them up so they would turn as designed. At one time the B & L scopes had a lifetime warranty but they are long out of production and lenses are no longer available.
And there is the "BIGGIE" for any old scope! Lens separation is a scope killer as well as a certain type of fungus that is occasionally found inside old scopes regardless of make. The fungus attacks the lens and can lead to delamination, or delamination can take place when the glue naturally separates the lenses. I find it really unfortunate with all the high tech stuff going on in the world that someone can't come up with a way to reproduce lenses for these old scopes. There are many very nice old scopes out there that are useless because they simply need a new lens.

Rick H.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:07 AM

Hi Fellows,

It will be a while before I make a decision & buy something.
I'll have to actually attend a few small bore shoots. I will actually see the scopes in use & look through them for myself. I need to get more of a education before I spring for $700+for a limited use scope.

Thanks for all the reply's,
broom