Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2018, 08:14 PM

I have a question if you all do not mind,I'm sure no expert on Marine 03A3,s but I did come across a Barrel with Vice Marks on it and was wondering if it could be a Marine barrel or if they even used these on there rifles its a SC 4-43 barrel and has vise or pipe wrench marks around the shank,Did the Marines use SC barrels or rifles ?
Old 07-10-2018, 08:21 PM

Oh also John if you don't mind while your here could you check a rifle serial for me in your Database I picked this one up years ago in a small out of the way Gun shop in the Virginia backwoods of the Civil war belt and was wondering if it came thru the CMP or if you had any info on it ,It is a Rock Island Arsenal 1903 with a Serial 200728 also the barrel is a RIA 1-19 seems to be original but I don't know I've never had it apart yet,Thank you in Advance Jim
Old 07-10-2018, 08:49 PM

It's not in the SRS Jim

200698 110031INQUIRY FROM OO
200710 051029CO E CORPS OF CADETS USMA
200746 050929CO A CORPS OF CADETS USMA
200765RI 100522174TH INF NIAGARA TO BUFFALO
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 07-10-2018, 08:54 PM

Well thank you for checking Gunny that was very kind of you I sure appreciate that I’ve had it a while and it sat in the shop there up on the wall so long in his personal collection it had a sillowette in the wall when he took it down to sell to me
Old 07-10-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smal View Post
I have a question if you all do not mind,I'm sure no expert on Marine 03A3,s but I did come across a Barrel with Vice Marks on it and was wondering if it could be a Marine barrel or if they even used these on there rifles its a SC 4-43 barrel and has vise or pipe wrench marks around the shank,Did the Marines use SC barrels or rifles ?
In the Marine documents it states that the only 03's that the Marines received in WWII were off the Navy in 1942. It also states that those rifles were all used and most were in terrible shape and needed rebuilt.

Otherwise it makes it pretty clear there isn't much chance the Marines received any 03A3's in WWII at all.

There is only one time I have ever seen a mention of an 03A3 with the Marines. A Marine recruiting office had two that were stolen in the 50's and the Marines notified the FBI. I found the FBI investigation on it but they state that the recruiting office got them from a local ROTC.

There is never a mention of the Marines ordering any Smith Corona barrels and I have never seen any 03A3 barrels used on a Marine rifle.

I would suspect the marks came about by someone other than the Marines.

Last edited by cplnorton; 07-10-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliman View Post
Any documentation to this or just observation? Because unfortunately with observation, these things can be pretty easily faked. And like Steve said, I've never see a 43 or 44 barrel that seemed legit.

Just my $.02

Please pardon my oversight.

I have no documentation stating that the Marines used 43 and 44 dated barrels. I am not so foolish, however, as to believe they donated the barrels to the Navy for use as boat anchors. I have a data base of USMC rifles and have personally examined perhaps hundreds of USMC rifles at the CMP. And they do indeed have 43 and 44 barrel dates.

I acknowledge that USMC rifles are easily faked and, indeed, have stated as much, using an analogy from animal husbandry.

J.B.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:33 PM

I'm not convinced, but always welcome to see hard evidence proving me wrong.