Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141  
Old 01-14-2017, 11:37 AM
mac1911 mac1911 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,722
Default little winter project

I found a late 50s HRA stock for my 1955 HRA at a ayrd sale.
It was a little grimey and dusty but cleaned up well. I used hot soapy water then a good wipe down with laquer thinner. I made no attempt to bring it dowm to clean wood or any dent or scratch repair. Just a good deep cleaning and 3 coats of PTO. Im not the best picture taker.

http://imgur.com/a/BHpLM
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 01-14-2017, 11:40 AM
smallfry smallfry is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 48
Default

I love old wood on M1's. Came out looking good
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 01-21-2017, 03:09 PM
mac1911 mac1911 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,722
Default Few of my stocks I have done

I bought a NRA serice grade a while back and it was darn near correct except the CMP new stock. I had to do a lot of fitting and eneded up stripping off the thin mud brown finish and hitting it with a dark stain sitting on the shelf and several coats of Minwax tung oil finish. Then the same rifle with a late 50s HRA stock I found at a yard sale. I cleaned this with soapy water then a good rub with laquer thinner just to get it clean and get rid of the grime. those are the last 2.




Last edited by mac1911; 01-21-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 01-21-2017, 09:07 PM
smallfry smallfry is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
I bought a NRA serice grade a while back and it was darn near correct except the CMP new stock. I had to do a lot of fitting and eneded up stripping off the thin mud brown finish and hitting it with a dark stain sitting on the shelf and several coats of Minwax tung oil finish. Then the same rifle with a late 50s HRA stock I found at a yard sale. I cleaned this with soapy water then a good rub with laquer thinner just to get it clean and get rid of the grime. those are the last 2.



Wow you do good work Mac Those new CMP stocks need replacing for sure. I found an IHC stock at a swapmeet. Steamed a few dents out and used flaxseed oil and that was it. Some enjoy the Boyds stocks but not me.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 01-22-2017, 01:43 PM
bote bote is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 384
Default

I know the CMP stocks are made by Boyd's but seem to be "cut" a little thinner. USGI stocks (and a lot of things) look great but just aren't as tight after 50 years. CMP stocksets are just like good work clothes. My JCG rifle is a correct grade HRA with an LMR barrel. It groups slightly over an inch when wearing a CMP stockset. If we ever go out on the town she wears her USGI clothes.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 01-23-2017, 12:24 AM
mac1911 mac1911 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bote View Post
I know the CMP stocks are made by Boyd's but seem to be "cut" a little thinner. USGI stocks (and a lot of things) look great but just aren't as tight after 50 years. CMP stocksets are just like good work clothes. My JCG rifle is a correct grade HRA with an LMR barrel. It groups slightly over an inch when wearing a CMP stockset. If we ever go out on the town she wears her USGI clothes.

I agree... My JCG match rifle sports a DGR stock which fits above and beyound better than CMP.
Ther HRA pictured above the new stock thats now off that rifle is going to play host to a glass bedding job for my attempt to build out a NM 308 M1.

The USGI stock I found is so much tighter than any other USGI stock i have. I actually had to lay it on the carpet on the floor to get the trigger guard locked...now my CMP and DGR stocks needed a bit more to close.

I did not take very good before picks of the HRA usgi stock...it was dirty and grimey you could not see a stich of grain through it. I made no attempt to remove any buety marks

Last edited by mac1911; 01-23-2017 at 12:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 01-23-2017, 08:20 AM
bote bote is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 384
Default

That's a darn nice HRA stock to find at a yard sale. I love the stripes on HRA buttstocks. Yesterday I just finished fitting a stockset to an unissued HRA. The original wood had quite a dents from handling so I installed a virtually perfect correct stockset I purchased after a six month search. Anyway, it was so tight I had to remove wood. There was no way it was closing. I tried it with different rifles/trigger groups; same in all. Can't figure that one out as it had a DOD stamp so it was on a rifle at one time. Only thing I can figure is that I really soaked the tung oil to it and maybe it swelled.

You'll love a NM 308. Put some lead in the butt and load some 125 Speer TNTs and she'll shoot like an AR.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 01-24-2017, 09:28 AM
mac1911 mac1911 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bote View Post
That's a darn nice HRA stock to find at a yard sale. I love the stripes on HRA buttstocks. Yesterday I just finished fitting a stockset to an unissued HRA. The original wood had quite a dents from handling so I installed a virtually perfect correct stockset I purchased after a six month search. Anyway, it was so tight I had to remove wood. There was no way it was closing. I tried it with different rifles/trigger groups; same in all. Can't figure that one out as it had a DOD stamp so it was on a rifle at one time. Only thing I can figure is that I really soaked the tung oil to it and maybe it swelled.

You'll love a NM 308. Put some lead in the butt and load some 125 Speer TNTs and she'll shoot like an AR.
old school shooter retired in the early eighties. He took it off a rifle in the mid 60s when he did his NM build for comp. I just happen to look up while in the garage and seen the butt sticking out of the rafters. I asked how much for the stock while pointing up... he said "what?" turned and looked up and said "i'll be damed thats where i put that" Pulled it down and he said "you shoot" yup "what" M1s.... he told me all about his shooting and how he was always a few Xs short of winning. He handed my the stock and guards went in the house and gave me a few ammo cans to. I asked him how much he said make a offer. I offered him 100$ for the lot. Said no give me $30 i know you will give it some love.
I had missed everything else by about 10 years. he sold everything gun related once he was to old to enjoy it. to bad missed a few nice rifles.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 01-24-2017, 12:48 PM
bote bote is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 384
Default

I bought a nice SA GAW stock at a flea market last year. The owner said he bought a surplus M1 50 years ago and sporterized it. He paid a $25 premium to get the "deluxe" condition. The rifle was long gone but he had stuck the original stock in a closet. I bought it for $40. The only problem is there is a gap between the horseshoe and the heel of the receiver. Don't know if someone sanded it or what.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 01-24-2017, 07:59 PM
mac1911 mac1911 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bote View Post
I bought a nice SA GAW stock at a flea market last year. The owner said he bought a surplus M1 50 years ago and sporterized it. He paid a $25 premium to get the "deluxe" condition. The rifle was long gone but he had stuck the original stock in a closet. I bought it for $40. The only problem is there is a gap between the horseshoe and the heel of the receiver. Don't know if someone sanded it or what.

do you have a picture of this?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
linseed oil, stock oil

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.