Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2014, 08:22 PM

Hmmmm why just not use blo or tung oil?
Old 06-08-2014, 05:56 AM

They are probably seeking a quick, single-app finish that looks OK to many/most rather than something that takes time and effort (and, therefore, additional expense) to build-up ...

... and "hybrid tung oil sealer" sounds better to those who do not really understand than "a quick, thin, coat of varnish".
Old 06-08-2014, 01:39 PM

Default Tru Oil

I almost hate to ask...but what about the Birchwood Casey product called "Tru Oil"? The Material Safety Data Sheet says it consists of (by weight) 56% Mineral Spirits, 33% Modified Oil (Proprietary) and 11% Linseed Oil (Proprietary!). I have used this product a LONG time ago on a French Walnut stock from Herter's. (That really dates me, doesn't it?)

I deglazed it with an orange colored gritty paste that I can't remember the name of and still like the finish that resulted. Anybody have experience using this stuff on milsurp stocks?
Old 06-08-2014, 02:12 PM

I have always shied away from Tru-Oil because all of the stocks (and pics of stocks) that I have seen displayed by their proud owners had a very-high-gloss, plastic look to them. Perhaps those folks always went overboard and applied too many apps (for my taste)? I don't know.

I might be tempted if I were trying to recreate the OEM look of a store-bought Remchesterby, but the only rifle stocks that I have worked on (so far) are milsurps.

The Tru-Oil look might be OK (to my eye) for some rifles like the M91/30 or SVT-40, but for those I have always used shellac to duplicate the original finish.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbill View Post
I almost hate to ask...but what about the Birchwood Casey product called "Tru Oil"? The Material Safety Data Sheet says it consists of (by weight) 56% Mineral Spirits, 33% Modified Oil (Proprietary) and 11% Linseed Oil (Proprietary!). I have used this product a LONG time ago on a French Walnut stock from Herter's. (That really dates me, doesn't it?)

I deglazed it with an orange colored gritty paste that I can't remember the name of and still like the finish that resulted. Anybody have experience using this stuff on milsurp stocks?
I have used tru oil on several stocks. Mostly shotguns. The finish can be controlled. I also used it on several 22s to just bring them back to life a bit.
Tru oil is easy to use and following the directions can achieve many looks. I plan on doing another round of 22 clean ups...I will try to post my adventure.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:22 AM

Do you need to remove the finish on a CMP stock before applying BLO or PTO?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Attack View Post
Do you need to remove the finish on a CMP stock before applying BLO or PTO?
I dont know if you "have" to but all 3 of the stocks I got the applied finish was very very thin, sprayed on I think. It sanded off very easily with out removing to much material, although I had to sand a good amount to fit the stock metal a little better.

Just a note. Two of my stocks after removing the finish needed some creative staining to get the wood to mach a little better.
It also revealed some heart/sap wood type of discoloration on one stock.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:42 PM

I didn't strip or sand my CMP walnut , just hand rubbed several coats lightly of Raw Linseed Oil. The stock looked good, just dry. So, not brave enough for my first try to go too far, that's what I did. the stock has some discoloration near the butt, where it got lighter. Oh well, I just wanted see how it would do with the oil.

The above picture was when I first got it. The picture below is about 2-3 years later, with a few coats rubbed in the wood occasionally. Nothing fancy, next time may try another route.

Ecclesiastes 12:13

Last edited by jthurman; 06-10-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:21 AM

James, nice looking stock. I really like how the finish looks after a few years of use.

The 1903 stock I purchased from the CMP has a nice overall red tint to it but is dry. I think I will just use BLO to bring it back to life.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:48 PM

Hi guys,

I finished all the work on the gun and would like to post photos. How do I do that?

Tags
linseed oil, stock oil