Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2018, 04:52 AM

Default Last H&R MC-58 Sighting?

I balked at paying the auction prices back in the day for a CMP MC-58 and have always had non-buyer's remorse. A Google search turned up a few scattered auction listings, but when is the last time anyone saw an ex-CMP NIB one turn up for sale? How much did it bring? I never see them even in most of the big national gun auctions.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:36 AM

Hi Sir,

Never knew they existed!WOW another UNOBTIANIMUM rifle!

Good luck in your search for one!
broom

Estimate: $1600 - 2500
This is an exceptional, as-issued example of a Harrington & Richardson MC-58 .22 caliber semi-automatic training rifle with U.S. Marine Corp property markings. The MC-58 was a H&R Model 65 with parkerized finish, an M1 Garand style safety and front sight. The rifle has a Redfield micrometer rear sight, 10-round detachable magazine, military style sling swivels on the stock and forearm and a military style oil-finished walnut pistol grip stock. The top of the receiver is marked "USMC PROPERTY, MODEL MC-58/H&R MODEL #65 MODIFIED/HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON, INC.". The top rear of the barrel is marked = USMC PROPERTY =/HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON INC./WORCESTER, MASS., U.S.A." and ".22 CAL. LONG RIFLE ONLY" on the left rear of the barrel. The serial number is stamped on the left side of the receiver in front of the rear sight. A small, "Eagle/Three Star" National Defense Inspection final inspection mark is stamped on the inside of the pistol grip. The Marine Corps purchased a small quantity of MC-58 rifles in the late 1950s for training rifles. The MC-58 is a scarce .22 caliber military training rifle. With a tan leather Boyt sling.
BBL: 23 inch round
Stock: walnut
Gauge: 22 LR
Finish: parkerized
Grips:
Old 02-22-2018, 03:45 AM

I will keep watching, hope springs eternal. They are hard to find though.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:24 PM

Default Mc-58

I found one at a smaller gun show here last year. The retired Gunnery Sgt. knew exactly what he had. I told him on Sunday afternoon "you and I are probably the only people who have walked in those doors this weekend and knew what this is actually". That was the first one I have ever had my hands on. You never know when one of these will pop up. One was sold on these forums a couple of months back.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:19 PM

Bought the barreled receiver with bad safety on CMP auction. It took 2 months to restore .The barrel has knurling at the halfway mark and the receiver has holes that seem to line up with a Stith mount. Glad I bought it.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:33 PM

Default Mc58

I saw one today that I thought was a little over priced at $1900. I have 2 that are nice enough I do not want to fire them. This one today had a lot more of the "been there done that" look about it. I looked it over close and debated making an offer. Glad I did not now after thinking about it a while.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennnorment View Post
I saw one today that I thought was a little over priced at $1900. I have 2 that are nice enough I do not want to fire them. This one today had a lot more of the "been there done that" look about it. I looked it over close and debated making an offer. Glad I did not now after thinking about it a while.
If you recorded the serial number and info on that one, let me know.

Thanks,
Dave

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=153730
Old 05-07-2018, 11:31 AM

Sent you a PM Dave.