Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2018, 12:05 PM

My cocking screw has 3yrs on it, but I always make sure there’s grease on it. I keep a spare for it & an extra firing pin spring. Usually the screw is left hand thread also.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwenum View Post
My cocking screw has 3yrs on it, but I always make sure thereís grease on it. I keep a spare for it & an extra firing pin spring. Usually the screw is left hand thread also.
Thank you for the info! Iím going to be getting some replacement parts to keep on hand.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceguy View Post
And there’s that explanation. Looks like the Kimber 82 G is a winner. Now to shoot the crap out of that.

Have any of you put globe sights on a M44US? Recommendations and how did they perform?
Hi Deuceguy,

I have a 44US & a Mossburg 144LS The 44 US trigger is OK It's much nicer on the 144LS!
The globe sight is light years better for old eyes! I ordered one (Lyman) from Havlin sales!
I just bought a used (I'm the third owner- that I know of) H&R M-12 the trigger is OUTSTANDING - shorter, smoother & lighter then the LS! We get what we pay for! The M-12 is one HEAVY rifle!

Good luck with what ever you buy,
broom

Last edited by broomhandle; 03-17-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwenum View Post
My cocking screw has 3yrs on it, but I always make sure thereís grease on it. I keep a spare for it & an extra firing pin spring. Usually the screw is left hand thread also.
AFAIK, all the 82G rifles have left-hand threaded cocking screws. Some of the early commercial rifles had RH screws.

For the group, here's where to grease:

I'm what you'd call a legend in my own mind.

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .
Old 03-18-2018, 02:10 PM

Broom- I have a M44 US and they are good starter rifles. I didn’t care one bit about.22s until 2 years ago. I looked at a 144LS at a show yesterday, was a good price, but I’m getting a Kimber. Can’t have it all.

I appreciate the tips on the Kimber Maintenance.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:52 PM

Deuceguy, enjoy that Kimber
https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/KIMBER-PARTS-c20995159
Old 03-18-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceguy View Post
Broom- I didnít care one bit about.22s until 2 years ago. I looked at a 144LS at a show yesterday, was a good price, but Iím getting a Kimber. Canít have it all..
Hi Deuceguy,

I bought my 144LS for $84 -new- on Long Island NY about 1971.
That included a leather sling, cleaning kit & two (50 round) box's of ammo.

I have no idea how many 1000's of rounds were fired in it. I still have it & shoot it often.

Enjoy ever day,
broom
Old 03-18-2018, 07:02 PM

Orlando - thanks for the link!

Broom - you did well!
Old 03-19-2018, 11:22 AM

Broom - you did well![/QUOTE]

Hi Dueceguy,

Ask me about the first Mauser C-96 Broomhandle ! I was new to the collecting game. The frame & barrel were worn, but no pitting, rust & dents.
The lock works was almost total junk! Some parts were weld or home made, I never even looked inside, I over paid for it

Found a guy now retired, that had a good C-96- reputation & had him rebuild it! The result was, he was paid off. I had NO lunch money for about two months!
That's when I actually started to listen to the old guys, that went the trail before me!

Enjoy every day,
broom
Old 03-20-2018, 09:18 PM

What kind of matches are you interested in? That'll help determine what rifles you want. I just started shooting CMP sanctioned Rimfire Sporter matches at my club, and it is fun. You need a rifle capable of holding 5 rounds though so that excludes the Kimber and other single shot target rifles. Can be either magazine or tube, as you shoot prone and sitting at 50 yards and standing at 25 yard, both slow and rapid fire, 60 shots for record. You can shoot a semi auto or bolt with open sights or telescopic. I showed up to the first match with my Rem 513T but had to shoot the match out of competition as it didn't make the weight limit, or the trigger pull. It was still a fun time. I'll shoot my Marlin 60 with irons and web sling this coming Saturday, it'll make to limits.
No shooting coats, gloves, elbow pads, etc. makes it fun basic .22 position shooting. Shot a 91 with the 513T in slow fire standing...........haven't done that yet with a .30 cal!!

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor

Last edited by Craftsman; 03-20-2018 at 09:30 PM.