Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2018, 03:24 PM

Default Vintage Sniper target question(Eastern Games)

I didn't get to attend the games last year when they were shot with the electronic targets.

Is the VS match shot with them too? If so, is the procedure the same?(exposed 20sec , down 20sec).

Haven't shot on them yet and wondering if they were free standing or fit in the target elevators
Old 04-09-2018, 05:13 PM

Yelp, VS was shot on electronic targets. Free standing last year.
Vic
Old 04-09-2018, 05:17 PM

What's the format now? 10 shots in a certain time, or some type of 20/20 arrangement?
Old 04-09-2018, 05:21 PM

Nevermind....duh.,.look in the rulebook
Old 04-10-2018, 08:05 AM

Lol!
Old 04-12-2018, 08:28 PM

Last September in Vermont, they used the KTS targets. These do not go up/down as the pits are unmanned.

They gave us one order (can't remember the exact wording) that we had to be away from our scope until the time started, and then barked out the command to fire, when the time started. CEASE FIRE was called as time expired and we were to look away from our scopes until the command to fire was given again.

Sounds clunky, but it worked just fine. There was no pre-aiming at the target, and it actually forced me to look for the wind.

When shot at Perry last summer, the targets were raised and lowered in accordance with the time limits, but you could be scoping your target number board, just waiting for it to pop-up. You could also hear the commands from the pits, and knew when the target would appear (both 300 & 600)
Old 04-13-2018, 08:03 PM

If I recall correctly, at Butner, an order to load was given prior to the order to fire.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:11 PM

You may load the magazine after firing. The bolt must remain open until the command "Targets" is given. You then have 20 seconds to close the bolt, acquire the target and fire.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:06 AM

That’s incorrect.

The Vintage Sniper electronic target commands are;

“Standby” this is 10 seconds prior to the fire command and this is the ONLY time you may insert a round into the follower. You may not close the action at this time. The rifle butt (stock) must be grounded (shooter is in position, but butt stock may not be shouldered).

“Fire” at this time the shooter closes the bolt action, shoulders the firearm, aims and takes the shot. 25 seconds are allowed.

“Cease Fire” should be self explanatory, with the butt stock being removed from the shoulder and set on the mat, so shooter cannot scope the target. A live round May NEVER be in a firearm during the CEASE FIRE command. Rifle may stay on the sandbag/support. I believe this is 20 seconds.

The above has been used at Talladega (since 2015) and the Eastern Games 2017 with electronic targets. Manual pit type targets have their cadence listed in the Games Manual (20 sec firing, 20 sec cease fire). I have asked Mark Johnson twice in the past two years to please publish the electronic cadence in the Manual and both times he told me it was there. It is not, still (2018).

I honestly wish people could follow these simple firing line commands. Still at the 2017 Talladega 600, shots were fired within a few seconds of the “fire” command. Something impossible to do. The CMP RSO’s need to give one warning, then D’q the competitor. I guess stupid is as stupid does.

Last edited by 3StrikesNC; 04-15-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:16 AM

BTW, each teammate fires 10 shots at each distance, 300 & 600 yards.