Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2018, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Default USAMU Sweeps Cup Events and New Records Hit the Books at 2018 Eastern Games

USAMU Sweeps Cup Events and New Records Hit the Books at 2018 Eastern Games - CAMP BUTNER, N.C. – During the hot and windy week of April 27 through May 5, competitors took the firing line at the Camp Butner Training Facility in North Carolina for the Civilian Marksmanship Program’s (CMP) Eastern Travel Games. The event hosts a variety of rifle and pistol marksmanship competitions for competitors of all experience levels. Read the complete article at http://thecmp.org/usamu-sweeps-cup-e...eastern-games/.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:26 AM

Great to have these AMU folks, plus have them at the matches. Every single one I’ve ever met has been more than courteous and truly helpful.

That said, they are professional marksmen. When they show up with full and multiple teams at a venue like the Eastern Cup, which had reduced participation this year (compared to prior Creedmoor Cups), there’s practically no scraps left for the guy that pays his own way. I hope the CMP give this a good hard review, because if they don’t, I fear participation will decline further. Dennis countered this with tons of door prizes, CMP did not in this, their first year.

My 2 cents.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:28 AM
Banned

Agree %110. Nothing like lining up with all the folks that get paid to do this and literally shoot thousands of rounds a week. Nothing against the AMU folks, but it is disheartening
Old 06-02-2018, 02:48 PM

You can rise to the level of your competition.
OR
You can take a negative attitude regarding the advantages your competition may have.

Choose the first option and you reap all the benefits of your competitions experience.
Choose the second option and you're forced to work through the same trial & error testing as your competition, with unlimited resources, worked through.

Last edited by X Hunter; 06-02-2018 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2018, 05:00 PM

Well....it's a marksmanship event. Two choices only.

1 - Bring your "A" game. [ Compete and do your best ]

2 - Cry in your beer. [ Bring your cheapest beer ]

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2018, 05:11 PM
Banned

Sure, I'm sure the average entry level shooter will spend the thousands of dollars needed to get decent equiptment and ammo send just love it when you get swept by a team who has endless resources and endless time and facilities to practice. It gets old quick and that's why you see equiptment being sold off as people move on

That, and the older generations ******** poor attitude is why the sport is dying.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtdt View Post
Sure, I'm sure the average entry level shooter will spend the thousands of dollars needed to get decent equiptment and ammo send just love it when you get swept by a team who has endless resources and endless time and facilities to practice. It gets old quick and that's why you see equiptment being sold off as people move on

That, and the older generations ******** poor attitude is why the sport is dying.
Firstly, the average shooter doesn't stand a chance of winning in the first place. He competes with himself and does the best he can do. The reward most hope for is a personal best.

The top notch civilian shooters can do as well as the AMU shooters - not every day but often enough to make it a real race.

We can discuss why the sport isn't doing as well as maybe it should but I don't think that the older generation has all that much to do with it.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:17 PM
Banned

So get rid of the rule that says already Distinguished shooters do not count towards the cut and lets see how many people do it for the "Fun of it"

People dont want to invest heavily into something they cant have some success at. Honestly I think thats another reason the USPA and action shooting do well because they have divisions
Old 06-02-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtdt View Post
So get rid of the rule that says already Distinguished shooters do not count towards the cut and lets see how many people do it for the "Fun of it"
By definition, most people do it for the fun of it since most non-distinguished shooters don't earn points but still shoot.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:26 AM

I understand what 3strikesNC and ssgtdt are saying. it can be disheartening to some shooters who see a Pro team take all the top honors but I think the CMP with their new classification system for cup matches, has helped combat this issue. most, if not all military team shooters are High Master. this gives the masters and below a chance to win their category. the civilians who are High Master, should be looking at the military teams as a reason to train harder for that extra point or 2 in offhand or whatever.

most of the mil shooters are also Distinguished so they are out of the running for leg points.

the CMP also has civilian awards for the NTI and team matches at Perry.

i'm not sure how the CMP or NRA could break down more categories for mil teams. like I stated earlier, the classification system already does this.

I personally enjoy having the mil teams show up as it makes me step up my game. does it suck when I loose to Brandon Green? of course,but not because he's a pro but because I didn't do my part. but for those times I look at the results and I see all those gold shirts listed below me, that's when you can sit back and think to yourself" man, my hard work paid off this week". of course they will remind you that next weekend they will have had another week of practice so you need to do the same.

if you get into the mindset of letting the top shooters drive you to do better and not give up because you have no chance of winning, you will become a better shooter.