Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2018, 05:25 PM

Default Need advice on a recovered SC sporter

I have been casually watching for a Smith Corona '03A3. A local gentleman is selling one he found in a pawn shop as a sporter and has been recovering it and it is nearly complete. It was drilled for a one piece scope mount with two holes in the receiver as in the photo. The barrel is a 2-groove marked SC 2-43. It is sitting in a "pin type" GI stock. He's asking $450 as is.

I was considering that this might be a good start for a faux '03A4 build since the receiver is already drilled. Or maybe having the receiver plugged. Any advice or thoughts on this would be welcome.

Artemus

Last edited by Artemus K; 06-10-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:22 PM

I saw a Remington that had the holes fixed, they took soft steel rod that was threaded, cut flush, rig welded, and then had the engraving fixed and finally reparkerized.

Honestly, seemed like a lot of work but it looked crazy good.

Iíll try to find a link.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:30 PM

Normally I'd say the rifle is a good candidate for your 03A4 project. However, you need to check the hole location(s) relative to a scope base. The rear hole is WAY too close to the edge and the front hole is so far forward that modifying an aftermarket sight base might be required.

Regarding the hole plugging: You can, but it won't improve the value for resale. It might improve the value to you depending on your intents.

2 groove SC barrels are pretty uncommon. Too bad its on a modified receiver.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:45 PM

Allen,

I suppose my intent is more toward a 03A4 project. The holes match up to the mount that was on it. I am going to look at it and the removed mount this week and decide. My thoughts exactly on the 2 groove. I am inclined to think maybe the price, as whole, isn't out of line for a shooter. I haven't seen any sales of sporterized A3 to know for sure.

Last edited by Artemus K; 06-10-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:57 PM

Barrel is likely a Remington barrel. Double check as 2 groove S-C barrels are rare. Price is about right, try to get it for a little less.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:48 AM

'd talk the seller down as far as we'll go and then leave it as is for a fantastic shooter. Any mods I'd make for the future would be plugging the holes, which you can easily do with a couple screw plugs. I don't know if you have an 03 or an 03A3, but if you don't then you need a rifle configured in "stock" condition before you need anything else. Best of luck in your decision.

PS - it looks like the SC has a Remington bolt. That could be changed out at a later date, but frankly it will have no effect on the gun's performance and it is a sporter that was brought back into mil-spec condition. $450 - isn't a bad price for what you describe.

Last edited by S99VG; 06-11-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:13 PM

Default Appreciate the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
'd talk the seller down as far as we'll go and then leave it as is for a fantastic shooter. Any mods I'd make for the future would be plugging the holes, which you can easily do with a couple screw plugs. I don't know if you have an 03 or an 03A3, but if you don't then you need a rifle configured in "stock" condition before you need anything else. Best of luck in your decision.

PS - it looks like the SC has a Remington bolt. That could be changed out at a later date, but frankly it will have no effect on the gun's performance and it is a sporter that was brought back into mil-spec condition. $450 - isn't a bad price for what you describe.
S99VG, yes, I have been fortunate to be able to get to CMP South when they had Remington '03A3s. So I have a very nice "no issues" rifle in my collection. I don't have a 1903 yet. I shoot everything I have off and on. My desire to have an SC is sentimental as that's what I had assigned for my drill weapon through 4 years on my AFROTC team at the University of Cincinnati (Go Bearcats). AND they aren't making any more.....
Old 06-17-2018, 10:39 AM

Default In Hand

Ok. After seeing the Smith-Corona I bought the rifle for $450 but that included the complete Leupold mount that matches the screw holes, and a number of spare parts. And it turned out to be the common 4 groove barrel. Looks like it is original to the rifle. Everything is here except an upper band screw. The gentleman that started the restoration used a lot of NOS parts. So it looks good.

The bolt is a problem area. The extractor bar is bowed a bit and binds/drags a bit through the rear of the receiver under the bridge (as you can see by the shiney area on the extractor). Also when the trigger guard/magazine screws are tight, the bolt does not respond to to trigger pull. Trigger moves fine but trigger system is inoperative, loosen the screws a bit and it's fine. I swapped bolts from a Remington and trigger function is fine. So I suspect some issue with this bolt's cocking knob......I will also need to improve the relief on the tang if I keep it in this stock.

Nothing insurmountable. But now I have to decide to finish it up 1903A3 and plug the two holes. Or start gathering parts for a replica, faux 03A4 after I see how it groups. Thanks for all the input.

Last edited by Artemus K; 06-17-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:33 PM

Congratulations Artemus on a very nice rifle. You did well. It looks like it may be all matching Smith Corona, even the bolt, however the problem you mentioned with the trigger not releasing the firing pin may be related to the cocking piece/firing pin rod. From the photo it looks like it may be for an 03, but it is not that clear to me, but you might try just changing that part and see if it helps. The problem may be in the shape of the sear notch, I have run into that before. Regarding the holes in the receiver, I have had good luck filling those kind of holes with Brownell's Acra glas gel with some stainless steel powder added and tinted just enough with some of the dye that they include and after cleaning the holes and making sure they are completely degreased and dried, fill them using a toothpick and after it cures, work it down with a small file and you can hardly tell anything was there, unless you know what to look for. I would not recommend doing any welding on that part of the receiver for possible damage to the heat treatment of the receiver ring. Otherwise good buy. The small problems you mentioned are easy fixes, just takes a little time and some attention to details. Good luck, and keep it all SC. Just thought about the buttplate, does it have a SC buttplate?
Have a nice day.
Just remembered you mentioned about the extractor being bowed, most of those I have seen are like that and you wind up with a shiny place where it rubs. I would not fret over that. The extractors are usually a little bowed to keep pressure on the case rim.

Last edited by bobk; 06-17-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:29 PM

UPDATE!
bobk, the buttplate is Remington. Most parts are SC. Stacking swivel is Roller-Smith RS. Since I had most of the needed parts (scant stock, mount, rings) and bought one of smag's SC replica A4 bolt bodies. I decided to put it together and shoot it as a faux A4. The front sight stays on for now so I can easily go back to A3 if I want to. I understand that is not allowed for Vintage Sniper rules. No plans to compete at this point. Moving to this stock completely fixed my trigger issue! It feels very good in my hands.