Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2018, 05:39 PM

Default An unmolested 1903 Springfield for Show and Tell.

[IMG][/IMG]
Here's a 1903 Springfield made in mid 1918 that, because it fell through the cracks somewhere and remained off the books or hidden somewhere, was lightly used and never had any parts replaced or updated.
Every part on this rifle appears to be original to its initial assembly at S.A. a Century ago.
When I was finally able to free the frozen forward trigger guard screw (without damaging it), I lifted the barreled receiver out of the stock for what I believe was the first time it had been removed since the rifle was first assembled. There were two very thin shavings of stock wood trapped and pressed between the bottom of the receiver and stock. Apparently they had been overlooked and trapped when the rifle was put together 100 years ago.
The frozen screw had apparently been stuck in place (not rusted, just dry and tight) and for that reason, nobody was able to take the rifle apart, though it had been tried. I freed it with a few drops of lighter fluid, which is an excellent penetrant.
I’ve never oiled the stock with linseed oil yet. The sheen on the stock is an old finish. Probably the finish on it as applied at Springfield Armory when the rifle was being assembled.
The rifle is an excellent example for anyone wanting to see what Springfield Armory was actually producing mid 1918 from their assembly line.

I’ve recieved requests from guys who want to know what I’ll be asking for the rifle if and when I put it up on the Want To Sell forum here on the CMP site. I do not want to disclose ahead of time what I’ll be asking for it then. I’ll be including the Bayonet and Scabbard pictured with the rifle when it’s up for sale. I might include the scope Mount, but I’ve found that most people do not know anything about a Belding and Mull scope mount. It’s mentioned in Bill Brophy’s book on the 1903 Springfield.
Ill also be selling in separate listings, my three Model 1913 Patton Cavalry Sabers and Scabbards.
In the mean time, I hope you all enjoy the photos I’ve taken
When I put the rifle up for sale on the WTS listing, anyone whose interested will have a chance to buy it then. Heck, I might just keep it all. Who knows.

Thanks,
Fred

Last edited by FredG; 06-30-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:26 PM

That is one BEAUTIFUL rifle!!!!!
Old 06-19-2018, 09:32 PM

Hey! I'm glad you're able to see it budmant! Yes, it's even 1,000 times better close up in ones hands.
Can you imagine it never being worn away or messed with for a Century? You can see the ripples in the grasping grooves that the cutter left behind on all new rifles.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:12 PM

Fred , Nice rifle . Where do you find them .
Old 06-19-2018, 10:36 PM

They show up from time to time, but man, a guy has to be looking all of his spare time to catch them. This one was brought into a local gun store by a woman. The owner put it up on gunbroker, cheap for what it was. I could tell it was unmolested and un-worn. So I jumped on it like a Hobo on a ham sandwich.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:54 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This eagle head stamp was only used on some of the 1903's made at Springfield Armory in 1918

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Big_Red; 06-26-2018 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 06-19-2018, 11:54 PM

The router and file cuts on the stock are still as fresh as the day they were made 100 years ago. WWI era rifles rarely show such an original, pristine and unworn stock. This rifleís stock appears to still have its original oil finish on it. Iíve never yet rubbed linseed oil into its wood. What you see appears to be itís original finish from 1918.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Big_Red; 06-26-2018 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 06-19-2018, 11:56 PM

A Belding and Mull scope base that doesn't require altering a rifle.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Big_Red; 06-26-2018 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 06-20-2018, 12:34 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

This J5 bolt is correct of course, being the original one mated with the rifle at Springfield Armory in 1918.

A double heat treated straight handled bolt.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Big_Red; 06-26-2018 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 06-20-2018, 12:37 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Big_Red; 06-26-2018 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts