Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2018, 10:34 AM

Default Lapping cocking cam

My "cc" replacement bolt, is quite rough when cocking and when you get to the top just before the "notch", it's somewhat hard to get past the shoulder..?..should this be butter smooth or do you want some resistance here? Also, does the lapping process to the cocking cam to smooth it out change anything that would affect the function of the rifle..? This is a drill rifle in re-activate mode, but haven't reamed chamber yet. Thanks for any/all input!!!
Old 06-29-2018, 11:54 AM

Of course there will always be resistance due to the spring and cam friction. I have polished the cam surface with a very fine lapping compound for some slight improvement. However.....

I would start by closely inspecting the cocking piece first. Look at the surface that rides on the bolt cam. Frequently they are quite worn. Replace as needed.

Many bolts are really dirty on the inside with caked cosmo and dirt that really adds the to the force needed to cock. Really clean the bolt and sleeve thoroughly. Light oil on the bolt spring, firing pin, and cocking piece rod. Use grease on the cam parts. Make sure the sleeve lock isn't damaged and is operating normally.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:51 PM

really hard to smooth out a CC bolt.. they are good safe bolts but pretty rough machining
Old 06-29-2018, 04:07 PM

Thanks chuck and Allen...I lapped it some but wasn't getting far, haven't tried it with grease yet...should be somewhat smoother. I lapped the locking lugs previously, does this lapping change anything with the lug contact made with receiver..? How about raceways..should they get a little? I don't want a polished bolt but want it nice before any reaming is done.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:19 PM

might have better results with a Remington A3 bolt or even a BF marked bolt. takes time and patiance
Old 06-29-2018, 05:13 PM

smoothest bolts are ww1, smooth, swept handle from high # springfields.
usually available at gun shows from the parts guys.
agree w/chuck that rem a3 bolt is a good choice also.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:16 PM

There is not much hope for a CC bolt,. They are the worst of a bad lot. I have one and it is very bad, safe-but not very useful. The early Remington bolts, both 03 and 03A3, are OK. The later the production-the worse the parts became. Nothing beats a good pre-war DHT or NS bolt. However be careful. Some 03A3 rifles are incompatible with M1903 parts. I have an 03A3 SC that will not accept a M1903 NS bolt. The safety lug on the bolt will not close past the receiver. I have bought a lot of 03/03A3 parts through the old DCM and the later manufactured parts are pretty bad. The US Army closed 03A3 production with a lot of spare parts buy contract from manufacturers, and I feel that many of these contractors knew that they world soon be out of the rifle parts business, so they released some pretty bad parts. Since the 03A3 was being held in reserve for a secondary standard, they knew that it would be a long time before deficiencies would become obvious.
FWIW
IMHO
Old 06-29-2018, 07:48 PM

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback. This is a one time thing for me, and unless one of these bolts falls outta the sky, it is what it is...lol...all parts needed were from numrich. Also, I did try it with a lil grease and seems acceptable, for all I know...
Old 06-29-2018, 10:39 PM

Picture of CC Bolt

https://imgur.com/JMTnQFR

https://i.imgur.com/KESfeRY.jpg

Last edited by Cosine26; 06-29-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:00 PM

As you can see from my previous post, the CC bolts are Rough.
You may be able to "burnish" the cocking cam by taking a hard flat piece of metal and polish the cam by pressing hard on the metal while forcing it flat against cocking and moving it up and down against the cam. To do this the bolt must be held tightly in a vise, This may make the cam smoother.
You should also check the condition of the cocking rod where it rides against the sear when opening the bolt.
You can see how the bolt sleeve locking slot and the safety locking slot are cut with one pass of probably a broach. It may work OK.

Last edited by Cosine26; 06-29-2018 at 11:05 PM.