Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2018, 11:51 AM

Default External adjustment scope for a H&R -12 HELP

HI Fellow posters,

Backround:
I bought a nice old H&R M-12 single shot (22rim fire) -Redfield Olympic sights & new high quality front inserts a while back. It shoot really well & the trigger is GREAT!

What would you advise for a external adjustment scope. Uniterl or similar type?

From what I see, Hi-Lux is priced in my price range. I know they had some problems early on, that seem to have been addressed.
I have seen some older Lyman scopes & another brand that started with a J (German?) are they worth looking into?
I'm a older retired guy & have always wanted that type scope.

Thanks for any help,
broom
Old 06-30-2018, 07:41 AM

Obviously a Unertl made scope is the way to go if that is your desire. You left a big hole in your post though.....how much can you spend? The Hi-Lux is okay, but it doesn't have the quality of a nice Unertl. You also have to decide what power you want if you go the Unertl way and what type of Unertl. They made several different models in various powers. Prices on Unertl's are all over the board depending on power and style. Look at Ebay when you decide.

Rick H.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:03 AM

From the moment I heard that HiLux was going to offer the USMC Sniper 8x I nagged them constantly for example. So I own one of the earliest HiLux USMC Sniper scopes and can report complete satisfaction. I also own a Unertl 8x and 10x. The HiLux has better light transmission so gives you a brighter view. The Unertls have a finer cross hair than the HiLux but it's not such an issue that I have gone to the trouble to replace it. The adjustable mounts on the HiLux are very good copies of the original. The adjustments are solid and repeatable.
The Unertls are nicer for sure but will they do a better job of scoping than the HiLux? Currently I have the USMC Sniper mounted on a Remington USMC 40x. The combo shoots great and I see no improvement with the Unertls.
I'm also a big fan of the H&R M12. The combination of the M12 and USMC Sniper would be a great set up.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten
Old 06-30-2018, 10:24 AM

Hi Rick H.

( You left a big hole in your post ) Your RIGHT! Honestly I don't know how to proceed at this time!

I thinking a limited application Unertl type scope for $600+ on a stock H&R M-12 might be a bad investment for a older guy like me. The family will have a problem selling items like that off, when it's my time to pass. Not much interest there! :<(

--BUT-- that style rifle, just seems to call out for a long old style scope. The iron sighted rifle shoots well at any distance from 25 feet to 100 yards. It's a FUN gun!
My days as a serious competitor is long gone.
The wilder side of the brain thinks GO for IT! YOU worked hard all you life!
The thoughtful side thinks, the rifle is just fine as it is! Don't make more problems for the family.!
I'll just think on it some more.

Thank you & the people that PMed me with your thoughts,
broom

Last edited by broomhandle; 06-30-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:37 AM

Hi presidentg,

Thanks for your input!

I know a club member that has a Unertl on a Kimber. I'll try to borrow his rifle & scope combo. I'll make a few calls to local guys.

Hopefully, I'll figure out were & what I want to do!

Be well & shoot well,
broom
Old 06-30-2018, 06:34 PM

Broom,

As you said, these target rifles just call out for the older vintage scopes and you do not have to mortgage the house to get one. One place to visit is Proxibid.com. You can still get some deals if you do your research and are patient.

Unertls are nice, I have several, but they are not your only choice. Others to look for include: the Redfield 3200 Target scope, Lyman Super Targetsport, R.A. Litschert Spot Shot, Tasco #705 or a B&L Balvar 24.

Just ensure they are complete, operational and have clear glass. Remember you pay for magnification. A 24X can be double the price of an 8X, unless it is a USMC 8X sniper scope, then you have to mortgage something. If a scope has a broken reticle or is a little cloudy, there are a few people that still repair these older scopes. If you can get it for a good price, it is may be worth a $100.00 or so to have it gone over.

Good Luck and Happy Independence Day!

Art
Old 06-30-2018, 07:37 PM

Without going into the details, I am not enthusiastic about the Wm Malcolm USMC 8X Repro scope. It is adequate, but fragile. Many of the vintage sniper shooters who tried them have moved on to the older classic scopes, myself included. On a .22, the other (3X and 6x) Malcolm are less expensive and a possibility. IMO, take some time and look for a good Lyman, Fecker, Unertl, or Litschert. One postive for the Malcolm scopes is the continuing existence of the company. They can and will provide help.....which you are likely to require, based on my experience(s). Good Shooting. ...
Old 06-30-2018, 11:33 PM

Hi Fellows,

I talked with the club member that has the Unertl! He is more then willing to let me shoot his rifle! He even offered to remove the scope & install it on my H&R! This will happen Wed or Thu of next week!

In the mean time, I'll research the many scopes you fellows have mentioned.
Here we go AGAIN, wanting the best scope for the least money! ...........It rarely works out that way!

Thanks for ALL your help,
broom
Old 07-01-2018, 10:38 PM

ESWL mentioned the Tasco 705. I have several of these and am not disappointed with them. Good quality at a much lower price than a Unertl.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:46 PM

Hi Williwm,

I spent about two hours looking on line at some of the scopes & prices the fellows mentioned!
I'll take sometime to THINK, about this scope thing!

Thanks for the heads UP,
broom