Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2018, 12:11 AM

Default Thoughts On This Eddystone

Bought this about a year and some change ago off the forum. Just got around to tearing it down for cleaning and spec check. Upon cleaning the b/r I started to notice some things that concerned me in regards to the receiver.

Can I get opinions on whether you think this is a welded receiver? My pics did not turn out very well and I will take more in the next day or two.

https://imgur.com/a/hNkQskP
Old 07-11-2018, 09:30 AM

Looks nice to me. Most welds/re-welds can be spotted. This one appears OK to me.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:57 AM

Looks ok to me. I havent been around as long as some other,was there a market for welded 1917 receivers? Ive never heard of a welded 1917 receiver. I know there are some issues with cracking with re barreling, but I wasnt aware of anything else
Old 07-11-2018, 12:12 PM

What is it that concerns you? It looks OK to me. Why would anyone cut and weld a 1917 action? They were dirt cheap way back when. Way back when, M1's were hard to come by so that is why folks welded two halves of destroyed receivers together to try and make a rifle. They are quite easy to spot. There is no way to weld a forged receiver with out the welded area showing up as different. There is also no way to match any machine marks across the welded area with original machine marks on the original halves.

It is always good to ask about anything you are suspicious of, but in this case I don't see anything to worry about.

HTH,

Emri
Old 07-11-2018, 04:45 PM

I have a couple of Rem 1917s that appear to have the original finish and there is a slight color variation along the left side that is probably due to variations in the final heat treatment. I don't know of anything else that would cause this variation but seems possible due to the thinner part of the receiver rail there. Otherwise yours looks normal to me.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:53 PM

The color variation is common, probably is the heat treating. GoodShooting. ....
Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 PM

I own three 17s. Yours look ok to me, too.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:42 PM

Welded receivers, go with along with M-1 rifles, and M-1 carbines.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 PM

The receiver appears fine. During heat treatment, M1917 receivers were packed with a special compound around the receiver ring which left a discoloration line midways of the receiver.

J.B.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:23 AM

Thanks, Gents!

This pic shows the area I was concerned with:

[IMG][/IMG]

The area where the arrow is pointing is actually raised up as compared to the rest of the receiver.

Also, the area between the lines is a different color on both sides than the rest of the receiver.

I've seen plenty of pics of welded M1 receivers so when I saw the above it raised flags for me. Better to be safe than sorry....

Next question: Bolt is about a thousandths shy of closing on a GO gauge. Is it easier to pic up a couple of extra bolts in order to find one that headspaces properly?