Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2018, 12:13 PM

If you are not experiencing any difficulty in chambering ammo, ignore the gauge. Good Shooting. ..
Old 07-12-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCDave View Post
Next question: Bolt is about a thousandths shy of closing on a GO gauge. Is it easier to pic up a couple of extra bolts in order to find one that headspaces properly?
I think you need to remove the extractor to check the headspace properly on these, did you do that already?
Old 07-12-2018, 03:32 PM

On the M1917, you only check headspace with a fully stripped bolt for most accurate results. You can use a coin, or saw off one end of a proper sized washer (or use a potato bag plastic closure cut to fit) to hold the striker back while you unscrew the striker assembly from the bolt.

Unless you own a reamer yourself, it would probably be cheaper to take the rifle to the next gunshow and "select fit" a used bolt from a vendor that headspaces correctly than to pay to ream the chamber. Also, who made your headspace gauge? Cheap ones are off a thousanth or two, frequently. Clymer and USGI are good to go if not damaged, mixed reviews on Forrester (sp?) and others. If it chambers and shoots good factory ammo fine, with no pressure signs, I too would ignore the gauge. CC
Old 07-12-2018, 04:06 PM

Thanks again, Gents.

The bolt was completely stripped and cleaned, as well as the chamber before checking headspace. I'm using Manson "down and dirty" gauges, the same ones I have used with all my M1s for the last two+ years with no issues. All three of them have been checked against USGI gauges and were spot on in comparison.

Good idea on taking it to the next gunshow. We have a local one just about every month.