Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2018, 01:13 AM

Default 1903A3 Bolt Question

Hey guys, so some time ago I got a blued 1903A3 bolt for my rifle to replace the parkerized one that was in it (don't worry, I kept it) and after I swapped the bolt sleeve I put the gun away and haven't shot it since. Busy with life and all that. Well yesterday I took the rifle out to oil up and get ready to go to the range this weekend. Now I'm noticing when I cycle the bolt there's a slight bit of resistance when it enters the chamber. It's not like I have to force it home, just that it takes a bit of an extra push to get it. The old bolt sleeve was smooth as butter, you could cycle the bolt with your pinky. So I got to looking at the two side by side and I believe I have identified the culprit. Tell me if i'm seeing things here but doesn't it look like the forward locking lug is cut differently between the two?

Now the new bolt goes into battery fine, it doesn't seem to be affecting anything negatively, at least not in that sense. Just don't want to take a chance of the lugs not working properly or something like that. Is this pretty normal? I know the blued bolt is wartime manufacture, and you can tell by looking it's finished and cut rougher than the park'd bolt which makes sense I suppose.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:17 AM

Your pictures are a little blurry, but it appears in the top picture, one of the forward lugs has "dimples" which may make it a M1903, not M1903A3 bolt.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:25 AM

It appears in your pics that the locking left lug has little to no bevel as the parked bolt has. The left lug should have a bevel at the top rear. The right lug will have a similar bevel on the bottom rear. These bevels help cam the lugs into their locking recess' in the receiver.

HTH,

Emri
Old 07-12-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emri View Post
It appears in your pics that the locking left lug has little to no bevel as the parked bolt has. The left lug should have a bevel at the top rear. The right lug will have a similar bevel on the bottom rear. These bevels help cam the lugs into their locking recess' in the receiver.

HTH,

Emri
That's what it looks like to me too. Did any production bolts come this way? Its stamped Remington in all the places you'd expect.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:31 AM

All bolts "should" have the bevels. It is possible your's got missed and went out anyway. They are not too hard, you can use a file to put the bevels on your bolt like see on the parked one.

HTH,

Emri
Old 07-16-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emri View Post
All bolts "should" have the bevels. It is possible your's got missed and went out anyway. They are not too hard, you can use a file to put the bevels on your bolt like see on the parked one.

HTH,

Emri
OK cool. It shouldn't be dangerous to shoot this way if the headspace checks out should it?
Old 07-17-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaxxi View Post
OK cool. It shouldn't be dangerous to shoot this way if the headspace checks out should it?

No. Just a little difficult to close as you found out.