Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > Junior Shooting Rifles/Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 08:30 PM

Default HELP needed for 4H Shooting Sports Club in Union County Ohio

My wife and I are advisors for a 4H Shooting Sports Club in Mahoning County, Ohio. We rely heavily upon direct discounts from ammunition manufacturers and grants to supply ammo for these kids to shoot. This afternoon I received an email from another club in Union County Ohio asking for help locating .22 LR ammo. they have 14 kids taking RIFLE project and can't find ammo to buy. Does anyone live near them that could sell them some .22 ammo for these kids? Or does anyone know of any retail establishments in that area that have it for sale? I can forward any info at all to help them. Unfortunately all our grants and direct discounts are already accounted for this year. We had to apply back in October and November for those programs and they missed that boat....I'm trying to hook them up. Any help at all appreciated. thanks
Old 05-18-2014, 03:52 PM

Check these out to find online sources. The best deals are typically the large retailers (Midway, Cabelas, etc.) but these are also infrequent and sell out quickly. "Sort by price per round" to find the best deals at any given time.

http://gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/
http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/.22+LR
Old 05-21-2014, 12:18 AM

Default It is difficult to buy 22 lr ammo

It is difficult to find 22 lr ammo...
...without paying internet retailer scalper prices or too-high shopping costs. I will you how I supplied my county 4H program for a year, until Federal walked in and saved us with their Allocation Program.

The trick to buying .22lr ammo locally is to know if and when a truck with ammo has arrived at your WalMart, then get to the store before everyone else. I've heard of people in line from 3:30 a.m. onwards.

There is a three box limit at Walmart which means buying as few as 3x50=150 rounds, or as many as 3x1000 = 3000 rounds per person per day. Usually my store has a crowd of six to ten guys in line by a 6:30 or a quarter to seven, and the sporting goods manager sets ammo out shortly after 7 a.m.

HERE IS THE not-so-SECRET:
Use the Walmart smartphone app (or better yet, an in-store spy) to search for "22 lr" after about 10 pm. If no truck is unloading, and/or no ammo is coming in, the app's message will be "Out of Stock". (Note: the Wally web page will not work for this, only the phone app).

If ammo has arrived, the phone app should say "Availability Unknown", or rarely "Limited Stock". Those phrases indicate that a truck has checked in, and ammo will be available the next morning or afternoon, depending on what time that particular Wally stocks up their Sporting Goods.

IF AMMO IS IN THE STORE it will be brought out from the lock cage whenever your Wally stocks their ammo counter. The stocking time for mine is 7-7:15 am each morning, assuming a truck brought some in the night before.

The best ammo to find is Winchester M-22 because it is sold 1000 rounds per box, so one can buy 3 boxes = 3000 rounds. BUT and this is a big one, my Wally normally only gets 4000 rounds per shipment of M-22, so first in line gets 3000, second gets 1000, third gets nothing but sore feet from waiting in line. Next best to buy is any of the Federal 550 round bulk packs, for similar reasons that one can buy 1650 rounds if all 3 boxes are available. The worst is any ammo sold by the box of 50, such as Federal Lightning, an otherwise good practice round.

BTW in my experience don't bother with Winchester X-Pert - even though it is a bulk pack, the ammo itself is so very lousy it is not worth buying except to re-sell to your worst enemy.

Also, don't get mad at the people in line. They are not evil price-gougers like the internet retailers who jumped their prices from $20/brick to $100/brick overnight - they are just regular folks trying to make their grocery bill, working a sort of 'second job', and making way less than minimum wage (if they honestly account for their hours and expenses). Waiting in line to buy ammo to resell will get you very tired very fast, and keep you poor. But you gotta do what you gotta do, right?
Old 05-21-2014, 05:29 PM

thanks for the heads up on Wally World...will try that to see what happens locally. I agree..Ryan Bronsen from Federal ATK saves the day for us also! I went out of my way to meet/greet him at the NRA convention in Pittsburgh last year for that very reason. Was a pleasure to meet and him and thank him for what he does......guess what...he said "No, I need to thank you, you people are volunteers! You do this all for FREE, I do it for a job!" How nice to hear that.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:57 PM

Watch Palmetto State Armory. They normally have some 22LR on there at least once a week.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:00 AM

Default Help for 22lr

Please let me know how many rounds you are looking for. my email Kdjjeffries@Gmail.com
Old 11-06-2015, 12:58 PM

Champ choice and champ shooters
Old 11-28-2015, 02:59 PM

Since my post in 2014 we are sitting ok in ammunition and other supplies. Thanks everyone for supplies and information