Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLogik View Post
Yeah, I have never seen a tuning weight on the upper portion of a scope stand IRL. Maybe that is the next light-year leap for highpower. Your scope stand would be like a giant, entertaining metronome.

You should find a group of people in your area to talk to about the sport and see the gear. Happens all the time, folks try to buy every highpower gadget imaginable before ever shooting a match, and a lot of time and money is wasted. The Al Freeland scope stands have been around a very long time. They have vintage appeal. You don't generally see them on the line for highpower. There are better options, these days, for the larger, modern spotting scopes that are used.

Best of luck.
This is the new Freeland tripod stand that shipped today, not the old bipod version. I think 5 out of 6 at the last match had the old Freelands. Almost all of the 22 shooters had them too.

They invited me to lunch afterwards, a tradition that four of them attended. We talked very little gun stuff and the conversation went to beekeeping. Remember, these are the guys, including the expert, who said my rifle was non-compliant. I am sure they are bursting with information, but chose to talk about bees and some info regarding politics at the range between the City and the PD.

It seems if I am going to participate at any level, I need equipment...I am cutting corners...a Voodoo mat I had bought awhile ago, and it is unlike any of their mats, pretty much all Creedmoor. Didn't buy gloves or a jacket yet. I can shoot without them.

Since I am an instructor and FFL, all the contacts, etc. might bring business. Or they will just be laughing at me, dunno
NM Concealed Carry Instructor
CMP Service Rifle Newbie
Old 02-21-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncarbine View Post
Remember, these are the guys, including the expert, who said my rifle was non-compliant.
If the match isn't sanctioned, all bets are off regarding gear and it is at the discretion of the match director. A good club will have a mixture of sanctioned and non-sanctioned matches. If you're lucky, the non-sanctioned matches at a club, club-matches, will adhere to either the NRA or CMP books.

Freeland stands are very common for smallbore. Smallbore equipment is generally very old with a lot of hand-me-downs.

You may look into the scope stands from Giraud Tool, Ray-Vin, Creedmoor Polecat, and GearBuggy before you start using your Freeland. The Freeland tripod has been around a long time, and maybe, there are better options.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLogik View Post
If the match isn't sanctioned, all bets are off regarding gear and it is at the discretion of the match director. A good club will have a mixture of sanctioned and non-sanctioned matches. If you're lucky, the non-sanctioned matches at a club, club-matches, will adhere to either the NRA or CMP books.

Freeland stands are very common for smallbore. Smallbore equipment is generally very old with a lot of hand-me-downs.

You may look into the scope stands from Giraud Tool, Ray-Vin, Creedmoor Polecat, and GearBuggy before you start using your Freeland. The Freeland tripod has been around a long time, and maybe, there are better options.
The highpower shooters were almost all shooting the old Freelands. I don't know if you missed it, but the one I ordered isn't the old bipod freeland, it is the new tripod version and looks identical to all of the ones you listed. I evaluated them all...they are all a tripod with a pipe coming up...most are now 1" which is what I ordered.

If no one around here I have encountered has a better stand, I can only compare by pictures and they all have a similar design as there is only so many ways to put a pipe on a tripod. The heads are a bit different in their ease of adjustment so if the Freeland head doesn't work out, I can swap heads, or use something from my photo gear.

I looked at a lot of forum topics on the stand discussion and all of the ones you mentioned were listed, but just as often, if not more, was the new Freeland. Found a Ewing on eBay but it was missing the top section so it was only 40" and he couldn't help me on figuring out what a compatible replacement would be.

I really do appreciate your advice and you are bountiful with it, and I appreciate it, but I did live in Missouri for awhile, and I guess I will need a chance some day to compare a Ray-Vin or whatever with what I have ordered, but in the interim, I don't think I can get by without a scope
CMP Service Rifle Newbie
Old 02-22-2018, 07:53 AM

Mncarbine, I have said it as well as others. Stop buying stuff. Slow down ask questions. See what works for the class you want to shoot in. Borrow, try out, make sure you like it. THEN make a purchase.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:42 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranehunter View Post
Mncarbine, I have said it as well as others. Stop buying stuff. Slow down ask questions. See what works for the class you want to shoot in. Borrow, try out, make sure you like it. THEN make a purchase.
My buying has slowed down...about the only thing still on my main list is a jacket and I am looking at the Champion's Choice NRA Blue Nylon Shooting Coat. I was told to start out cheap and of the cheap options, it seems to have the most features, like a zipper on the sling arm. I don't really want someone's used jacket... I don't have a glove, but can fake that for now.

I don't have a plethora of peers to work with...as mentioned, there were only six people shooting at the match...I can't borrow what they are using.

Seems 90% of the guys have the Creedmoor stool...seems nothing special about it and no one sat on it.

I didn't buy anything yet for the wind and weather, but the cheap Weatherflow Weathermeter that works with Strelok isn't going to break the bank. They weren't using anything for the wind at the HP match, but the .22LR shooters shooting F-Class all were using something, at least a vane.

I don't think anything I have bought is a mistake other than buying a dry tumbler before deciding wet was the way to go.

I really do appreciate the concern, but I think I am OK so far and am nearly equipped.
CMP Service Rifle Newbie